Friday, March 19, 2021

Friday Fotos

 
 
 With spring practically knocking on our door,
this will wrap up the Friday Fotos feature for this season.
The colors have been brilliant all around the neighborhood.

 
One plant I want to put on my "it's time to buy" list
is the forsythia.
I've never been too big a fan of yellow in the garden,
but this bush is so striking that I will be on the lookout
for a few to add to the landscape.
Until then, I will have to be content admiring my neighbor's.
 

Queenie
 
This week, we have some good news and some bad news.
I'll start with the bad news (although it could've been worse.)
There was an incident on Wednesday evening while the chooks were ranging.
The neighbors' dogs got out and they headed straight for the chooks.
(These are new neighbors and we kind of agreed to keep the chooks in the run
in the morning so the dogs could be let out,
and vice versa.)
After much mayhem and scrambling,
the chooks got away and the pups were put inside.
I decided to put the chooks back in the run,
as they were fairly freaked out by the episode.
Being a newbie chicken keeper, I didn't think about checking them.
 
When C went to lock the coop up that evening,
he came in to tell me that there was a problem.
When I went to check, the entire inside of the coop
was splattered with blood.
Poor Queenie had been hurt in the commotion.
I cleaned her up as best I could and let her spend the night
by herself on the side of the coop where the nesting boxes rest.
This way, she could hear her friends on the other side of the wall,
but didn't need to worry about being disturbed.
Thankfully, yesterday she seemed fine and I was so relieved
to see her look up at me as I retrieved her from the coop.
It looks like their free-ranging days are over.
We are working on a larger fenced in area,
so that they will be able to forage safely.
 

 
 
On a happier note,
the snap peas are up!
Wouldn't you know that just as soon as I had gone to the store
to purchase fresh seed, I discovered that they had germinated.
Ah well, more seeds for fall planting.

 
The leeks are growing a lot more
since the row covers were removed.
It hasn't hurt that we've had ample rain in the last two weeks.
 

 
I'm not sure how this happened,
but the garlic looks like it's coming up in bunches.
I've never had this happen before,
so I'm not sure if it's me trying to emulate Charles Dowding,
or something funky going on with the cloves.
In any case, there will be plenty of garlic in our future.

 
I can hardly believe this is cabbage that I planted.
It's a first-for-me crop,
and something that I love eating raw,
so if the heads keep growing, it'll be a happy day.

 
 
The parsley is rockin'!
It has been drinking in every drop of rain we've had
and getting ready to host black swallowtail caterpillars
(I hope).

 
The existing blueberry bushes are leafing out,
which is amazing, considering that I wasn't even sure if they were still viable.


I have three bushes that will be transplanted to the new area,
where the three new bushes will be installed this weekend.
I'll be going to pick them up today at our local Extension office,
along with our new asparagus plants.
Soil acidifier was purchased this week,
so that I can add it to the compost mixture and give the blueberries a great start.
 
 
 
 One of the best things to happen this week,
was the germination of eggplant!
There are two varieties seeded,
one a long, Japanese type and the other
the Listada de Gandia variety.
I've grown both before,
and love to pan fry it to perfection.
 
Listada de Gandia eggplant
Isn't it gorgeous?


 
 
The first sweet potato slip of the season popped out
 this past week!
I'm so excited to grow my own slips
and have a windowsill for just that purpose. 
This is so easy to do and is so rewarding to watch.

 
 The gravel project is complete,
and we all love not only the way it looks,
but the sound of the crunching gravel when we walk on it.
Grateful to have finished something on our 2021 project list.
It wasn't easy, but it was very gratifying.


When we renovated the kitchen a year ago,
we decided we'd like to get some stools for the island,
but couldn't find exactly what we both liked.
IKEA saved the day with these bar stools.
They seem to be perfect for the spot and are so comfy!
It makes me love our new kitchen even more.
 
With spring officially just days away,
we'll be starting up with Garden Fridays next week.
Until then,
may the sunshine bless your homestead.
 

8 comments:

  1. So many good things happening there! I'm glad your girls are OK. There are so many chicken predators here, I also had to stop free-ranging. We enjoy our forsythia, but put it somewhere you won't mind it spreading. We've got some next to a rose bed, and it would take it over, if I let it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, I never would have known about the forsythia. Fortunately, I have plenty of room to let it spread.

      What a shame that your girls can't roam. We'll share our solution soon.
      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. My neighbor (a southern native) calls Forsythia "Yellow-Bells". I'd never heard that term but I like it. Love Queenie's pic. Glad she survived the attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard them called that either.
      Queenie is one tough old girl! ;0D

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear the flock is ok. Poor Queenie. You're so right - it could have been a lot worse. Happy it wasn't. We don't have to worry about neighbors dogs, at least so far, because our stone walls have kept them out of our property, but we do have fox and fishers that cross our property so we free range but only during the day as long as we're home. Happy you have a plan in the works so they can enjoy a little roaming time again. Everything looks amazing! Your garden photos make me sooooo excited to get my hands in the dirt. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they'd stay on the property, I could let them out while I'm working outside. But they have begun to explore our neighbors' yards, which won't do. ;0(

      Spring is officially here! Get ready for some serious gardening girl!

      Delete
    2. Hi Daisy - I just wrote out a fairly long paragraph and apparently it got eaten. Ugh! Anyhow, in a nutshell: I'm sorry your girls were attacked. (I have big opinions about people who let their dogs out unattended and / or allow for the opportunity that their dogs might go into someone else's yard. I think it's jerky.) I hope Queenie is fully recovered. Poor dear!

      I'm envious of your gardening! We won't be planting unto the end of May, but I did start some tomato seeds yesterday! Anything to get my hands in dirt. :-)

      I love forsythia! It's one of the first flowering bushes of spring up here. Happy Spring and have a great week!

      Delete
    3. Hey Tracy. Yes, I would love to fence in our entire yard, but not sure that's gonna happen this year.
      Thank you for the well wishes.

      May will be here before you know it! Glad you can get those seedlings started.

      Enjoy your week!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!