Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Sprouting Made Simple



I have a new toy.
Always looking for ways to incorporate healthy options into my diet,
when I spied this new method for sprouting seeds,
I was all over it.



This is the bean screen system by the Masontops company.
It comes with two BPA-free lids that screw right on 
to any sized wide-mouthed mason jar.




The silicone ring ensures a tight seal,
 so that the lid stays put.



I'd been thinking about starting sprouts again,
and decided that this would be a great long-term solution.
I've grown sprouts in jars using a piece of screen and a rubberband,
but this system really makes it so much easier.
For one thing, all parts are dishwasher safe,
if you want to make sure they are squeaky clean between uses.



The lids get screwed onto the jar containing your seeds,
then water is added to rinse them twice a day.
The holes in the lids keep even smaller seeds like alfalfa, corralled.
Another use I recently read about, 
was someone who used one of the jars as a fruit fly trap in the summer,
putting a bit of cider vinegar in the jar and leaving it on the counter.
The fruit flies could get in, but couldn't get out.
I'm gonna be trying that trick out!



Complete instructions come with the kit,
which helps if you've never attempted this before.



 A couple of features of this kit that are especially appealing:
 1.  The jar can be inverted to provide proper drainage.
Seeds should be damp, but not sitting in water.
Once the seeds are rinsed, you simply turn it upside-down on a dishrag.
This makes it so much easier than the old way I was sprouting,
because once I rinse my seeds, I can walk away until the next rinse.
2.   The jar can be laid on its side once you are greening up the sprouts.
Putting it right on a windowsill will ensure they get lots of light.
The design of the lid keeps the jar from rolling around.
Brilliant!




This batch of alfalfa seeds was started last Friday.
It should take about a week to ten days to fill the jar.
I'm looking forward to having fresh sprouts for my daily salad,
sandwiches, or adding to other cooked veggies.
It will be especially useful next winter,
when the colder temperatures 
keep greens from growing in the garden.
With two lids, a new jar can be started every week or so,
to ensure that the sprouts just keep on coming!

You can find out more about The Bean Screen
(including a how-to video)
here.

(I'm not compensated for promoting this product,
I just like to keep the good stuff moving.)



6 comments:

  1. We have been sprouting a blend of alfalfa, broccoli and radish. Comes in very handy and they are so good. It is especially nice when we are between stores, and traveling to our next destination. I will have to keep an eye out for this jar kit, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delicious combination! You may be able to find it at a health food store.
    Happy sprouting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I'm ordering one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this before. Thank you so much for sharing! I used to sprout quite a bit but haven't done that in the past couple of years. The chickens love sprouted mung beans too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lil' gadget sure makes it easier!
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!