Friday, February 22, 2019

Garden Friday



Slowly, signs of spring have been popping up.
This sweet hyacinth stands alone in the cold and rain,
assuring us that the seasons are in for a change.


 The daffs are like a ray of sunshine
during this dreary winter weather.
We have had an abundance of rain and some estimates
state that we are over 30 inches past our usual amount of rainfall.


Guess who decided to wake up?
We have broccoli, kale and lettuce stirring in the seedling trays.
Now if we can get some sun to show up,
we'll be in good shape.


 Seeing these seedlings emerge will prompt me 
to start some more seeds this weekend.
If all goes well, green beans, more beets, and spinach will be next.
By the beginning of March,
our potato (Yukon Gold) stacks will be prepped.
Snap peas were sown last week,
but haven't germinated yet.
They will be worth the wait though.


With daytime temperatures in the 50's and 60's,
outside time has increased.
We have a few projects up our sleeves,
like creating arches for runner beans and melons,
as well as finding the ideal spot for our berry plants
that will be coming along soon.
Some time will be spent
adding compost to the garden beds,
to ready them for planting next month.
I'm also hoping to be on the receiving end
of some mighty fine garden soil.
 
New ventures in the garden keep me motivated
to explore things I've never before tried.
It's all a learning process.

Have you noticed any signs of spring 
in your neck of the woods?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am soooooooo jealous!!!! I can't wait for the first signs of spring here. I keep telling myself that the snow and ice will be gone soon. A friend of mine just moved to North Carolina and he said he's loving the weather. Ugh... I've never been south of New York but I dream of visiting the Asheville area some day. And who knows, maybe I can convince the hubby to give up snow blowing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a nice change from Florida. It's so wonderful to see all of Mother Nature's changes through the seasons. I think you'd love Asheville.

    Sending snow-melting thoughts your way! ;0D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!