Thursday, July 19, 2018

Breathe Easy




I have a history of getting sinus infections.
In fact, I limit my dairy consumption,
as it is known to be a problem for anyone who suffers with sinus issues.
A doctor once told me that because of the bouts of sinusitis in the past,
I will never regain my sense of smell.

A sinus infection is more than just a clogged or dripping nose.
It affects folks in different ways.
In my case, I have difficulty breathing through my nose, yes,
but my main complaint is fatigue.
Being stricken with a sinus infection just 
wears 
me 
out.
In the past I have had to take antibiotics to knock it out of my system.




Always looking for a more natural way to handle illness,
a friend recommended that I try a sinus rinse.
This is different than a Neti Pot, which I tried in the past without much success.
This particular kit came with a bottle with a spray nozzle
and about 30 packets of saline solution to use with it.
I've been using it regularly for about 2 months now,
and I have to say that it has made a difference.

(Can I just say that I miss the simple days 
of being able to jump into bed without having to do a thing?
Wash face, brush teeth and you were done.
After 50, [and I'm well beyond that], 
there is a whole routine that must take place 
in order to be able to go to bed at night.
Who's with me on this?)

I still have a deviated septum, which makes breathing clearly a challenge,
but for the most part, my respiration seems improved.
I didn't want to keep buying those packets of solution,
(packaging concerns and costs add up),
so I found a recipe that I'm happy to pass along.
Even if you don't suffer with sinus infections,
it's a natural way to deal with allergies or colds.
Hope it helps you breathe a little easier!



Saline Solution for Allergies

1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 baking soda
8 ounces distilled water

Combine ingredients in squeeze bottle, shake,
and discharge into one nostril at a time.
Be sure to allow solution to drip out
and then gently blow your nose.
May be used several times a day.
~~~~~~~
Dr. Tieraona Low Dog has 
many other suggestions for dealing with seasonal allergies
using natural approaches.
You can find her website here.

Featured at the This Is How We Roll Link Party




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!