Thursday, March 5, 2015

Thrifty Thursday-Lemon Aid


Lemons are one of our favorite things to get from The Hill.
They are pesticide-free and so delicious.
That's not always true of what is found at the grocery store.
With the season being just about over,
we thought we'd share some ideas about
this amazing and versatile fruit.




When we get a bag full of lemons from the farm,
we bring them home and scrub 'em up good.

We have found so many uses for lemons.
Aside from using it for creating yummy things to eat and drink,
they can be used to clean anything from cutting boards to rust stains on clothes.



We've even used them in homeschooling science experiments.



Those with the best-looking skins get zested,
jarred, and the containers are placed in the freezer.




It lasts well over 6  months this way,
but it doesn't usually stick around that long!
We use zest on chicken, fish, and in muffins and sweet breads.




Of course, the juice is squeezed using an old-fashioned metal reamer.
We bottle it and keep it in the freezer until needed.
Lately, I've been using it to add to my water kefir.
It adds a brightness to most any dish.
If you have a garbage disposal, 
grinding the skins up keeps the kitchen smelling fresh.
Naturally, any remnants from your stash of lemons can be composted as well. 



Making the most of what you have is one of the cornerstones of homesteading.
We so appreciate being able to have pesticide-free citrus,
and we don't want to waste a bit of it.

Here are a couple of ways we use Meyer lemons.

Honey lemonade
Watermelon lemonade

















7 comments:

  1. My thoughts when I first saw the lemons were---oh--I'll be most people wouldn't even consider buying them because they don't LOOK perfect.
    I'm envious of your stash of lemons. I have been unable to find them here organic.
    I never thought of FREEZING the juice---terrific idea. I will remember that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they don't look perfect, but they are! The freezing works like a charm. I usually have enough to last a whole year.

      Delete
  2. I love coming over here and seeing all the sun-shine projects you are doing! (Two more months of snow for us...You keep me going!) I could never dream of having lemons here, although they do ship them in once or twice a year. We all love putting them in our water but we usually get one bag and then they are gone for the year. I have never thought to freeze the peels. Thank you, we will now be doing that every chance we get!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so sweet. I know how you feel because I am the one drooling over everyone's tomatoes in the summer when it's too hot here to grow them! ;0) I'm glad folks enjoy seeing what grows here in winter. Freeze whatever you can! Won't it be fun to have a fresh lemon zest in your water or tea come fall or winter? ;0D

      Delete
  3. Great ideas and tips! I enjoy sliced lemons in my water ;-)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!