Thursday, May 22, 2014

No One Here But Us Chickens!





On Tuesday night, I was witness to a step forward in a local community.
The city commission met to listen to a resident
who brought to light the benefits of allowing backyard chickens within the city limits.
This homeowner was one member of a "chicken council",
who came together to formulate the presentation.

Among the perks mentioned:

1.  Residents having access to a local food source
(can't get much more local than your own backyard).
2.  Consumers having an option for antibiotic-free, organic eggs.
3.  Neighborhoods being encouraged toward self-sustanability.
4.  Children learning animal care,
including being able to participate in 4-H projects.

After her wonderful video presentation,
many of the commissioners were duly impressed
and almost all of them agreed to take the next step 
toward allowing this pilot program into the city.
Eight households will be chosen to host the hens 
(no roosters allowed)
and will be monitored for one year.
Each site will be evaluated to ensure the birds have adequate conditions,
and the families will be interviewed to assure 
that they are the best candidates for the program.
The commission will meet again at the end of the designated year, 
 to size up the overall outcomes
and decide whether or not
to expand and develop the program.

The chicken council did a great job of 
struttin' their stuff!


Update:  The program has been approved
and a panel has been reviewing applications.









 photo ftfhopbutton.jpg





barnhopimage

8 comments:

  1. Daisy, I'm always amazed to hear that folks have to fight to keep chickens in their back yard. When I was a kid I spent my years from 10 to 16 living inside the city limits. This city was not a huge city by any means but sizable at 100,000. Practically every house had a back yard with some kind of garden and some had chickens for eggs, rabbits for food, or pigeons for .... I'm not sure what. City living 50 years ago was a blend between city and country living. I suppose the influence of living in the Midwest farm area still had effect on the people that lived in the city. No one even complained about a rooster crowing here and there. Today's culture has banished the availability to do those things and squelched the desire to try. There are chickens in my urban neighborhood but technically I don't think it's allowed. I suspect there might be some egg bribery going on with the neighbors. I think it's great.

    Have a great city chicken victory day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we currently live in a deed-restricted community, I know we can't have hens, but I'm glad that some folks can. It really is the way to go.

      Delete
  2. It kills me that one has to fight for the right to have chickens, but yet I have been forced to listen to my neighbors dog yapping NON STOP all day and "nothing can be done about it".
    Well, glad to see another community starting to smarten up! Congrats on that victory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Sometimes dogs are worse than any clucker.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for the chickens! It's amazing to me how difficult it can be to bring chickens into a community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting!! I hope the chickens work out and they allow everyone to have them after this year's monitoring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!