Thursday, December 19, 2013

Crockpot Lasagna is Baaa-aack...



Signing off for a bit to try to recover from this back injury.
I'll repost some golden oldies for the next few days.
Hope you enjoy your weekend!
(Originally posted 1/4/13)

The crockpot is a wonderful tool to use in the kitchen.
Especially in the winter,
it's great to be able to make hearty stews and soups
with very little time and effort.

We traditionally eat lasagna for Christmas supper.
Since preparing the turkey in the slow cooker at Thanksgiving worked out so well,
I decided to make Big K's lasagna version in the crockpot.
The inspiration for this dish came from this website,
but as usual, we put our own twist on things.
Stephanie O'Dea's books and website
have tons of slow cooker recipes.

 

No more labor-intensive lasagna for me.
Just layer it in and move on with your day.
You don't even have to cook the noodles first!

 


Crockpot Lasagna

1 box lasagna noodles
16 oz. container ricotta cheese
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
*16 oz. gravy (tomato sauce)
1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, shredded
8 oz. baby portabello mushrooms
1/2 t salt, or to taste
1 T Italian seasoning, or to taste


Brown meat with carrots and onion until onions are transluscent.
Meanwhile, sautee mushrooms
in 1 T olive oil until carmelized.
Add gravy and seasonings to meat mixture.

Place uncooked noodles on a layer of sauce.
Break up the noodles so that they fit the form
of your slow cooker.
Add a layer of riccotta, then mozzarella, then meat sauce.
Repeat layers one more time.
Add a little shredded mozzarella to the top layer of sauce.
*Pour 1/4 C of water into sauce jar and shake.
Add to the top of your lasagna.
Cook on low 8 hours, on high 4 hours.
Enjoy!



Have leftover ricotta cheese?
Make these.


************
 

Our Christmas Cookie Tag Series continues.  
Check out what Mary's  got cookin'.


10 comments:

  1. What a neat way to make lasagna! Never heard of this method before but it sounds great for busy times. I hope your back gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy! I'm gettin' there! Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your back. I hope it's better soon. I make our lasagna in the roaster oven (kind of like a crock pot) and it turns out great. I think we'll be making it tonight, I have about a gallon of extra milk and I'm afraid it will go bad so I thought I'd make some ricotta cheese with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes. So impressed that you make your own Ricotta! Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea to do the crockpot route. I hope you feel better, back injuries are no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to use mine more. What a time saver! Thanks, Jackie.

      Delete
  4. Actually, I've been making this since you posted it initially! It's sooooo good and so easy. :) Thanks for such a great recipe and I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete
  5. What a great recipe! I'm putting this on my "must try" list.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your back. Back pain is no fun. I hope your holiday is restful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes. I'm making progress daily.

      Enjoy the lasagna!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!