Monday, October 17, 2011

A Mom's Job is Never Done...



People in my house are starving.
Towels haven't been laundered in a week.
The dust has reached new heights
and the kitchen floor is sticky.

Why, you say?



Momma's been sick.

I can count on one hand (thankfully) the number of times
when I've been under the weather in the past few years.
It usually passes in a couple of days,
but we're headed into next week and I'm still not up to par.
It's mostly just a cough (my ribs were so sore) and fatigue.
I rested as much as possible over the weekend
and that helped tremendously.
Here are a few things I did to help
my body get back into balance.

Rest-This meant I had to force myself to stay in bed and ask others for help, something not always easy for me to do.

Warm water with lemon and honey-so soothing and assures you are getting enough fluids.

Compress-Soak a washcloth in water as hot as you can stand it and place on your face-instant relief from pressure and congestion.

Hot shower-Steam up the bathroom and breathe in all that healing vapor.  Water is magic, especially when you're sick.

Cough & throat soother-We stay away from conventional medicines as much as possible due to all the junk usually found in them.  I needed relief for this cough, so I researched making my own cough remedy.  I didn't have all the ingredients needed, so I adapted it to what I had.  Try this homemade version the next time your loved ones need a bit of relief.  It tastes great and helps tame that cough.

Homemade Cough Remedy
2 C distilled water
1 T fresh thyme
1 t chamomile (I used a teabag's worth)
2 T honey
*These additional ingredients can be added:
fresh sage, ginger, cloves and fennel seeds.

Place ingredients except honey in stock pot and bring to
a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
Strain herbs and transfer liquid to glass jar.
Add honey.
Keep in a dark, dry shelf for up to 3 months.
Take 1 t as needed.

May today bring you joy and wellness!









7 comments:

  1. Daisy-I hope you're feeling better soon. I love the vintage picture--I know it's "so wrong" to say in this day and age, but really, I enjoy all the little tasks that we housewives always did (do).
    But, it's also nice to be pampered too.....just too bad we have to wait until we're sick to get that-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Poor Daisy! Hope you kick that cold's patooty very soon! I use all those tricks too, but I've never tried that natural throat soother! Thank you (it actually sounds very similar to one Ruth Goodman talks about on the Edwardian Farm--unfortunately, I cannot remember which episode)! That show is AWESOME--Jenna turned me onto it, and now I'm addicted--giggle. I'm loving the vintage photos you've used, too...hang in there, friend, feel better, and thank you again for your help yesterday! *hugs*-K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this one was a real whooper. Maybe this will be your quota for the decade. I hope you feel real better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue-Isn't that the truth!
    It isn't "wrong" if you're living your truth!

    Kat-You're more than welcome. Hope you're feeling better today.
    I'll have to check out that series.

    Jane-From your lips to God's ears!
    Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure hope you are feeling better. I too have been sick with the stomach flu...thought it was food poisening from a wedding we attended yesterday...but I don't think food poisening gives migrains...so maybe the migraine is giving me the sick stomach and dizzy...well, let's just say this is the worst dizziness I have ever had.

    Thankfully there are lots of teenagers in the house and a wonderful dh to take over. Pays to teach our children to work hard and be able to run a household.

    You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ames-I said that exact same thing just the other day! ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!