Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Just Go With the Flow...

I posted about an upcoming native workshop last month here:

I got the information off the extension center's calendar.  I read it over.  I should have known something was up when I called for more information at the listed number and the folks answering the phone didn't know what I was talking about...

Landscaping with Native Plants
Saturday, April 30, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Carver Recreation Center
1520 S. Idlewood Ave., Bartow
Call Bartow Front Porch at (863) 533-1773
for more information.

They still didn't know what I was talking about when I showed up last Saturday, ready to learn and buy a slew of natives for the garden.  Guess I should have tracked someone down.
So, no new natives for me.  Bummer...

I consoled myself by heading to the garden center and picking up these babies for 2 bucks apiece. 
They're not natives, but are listed as Florida-friendly.




We call them society garlic.
Here's more information:

I've been noticing them blooming all over town and each time would remind myself to look for some.   
Thankfully, I was in the right place at the right time
and picked them up for a song. 
Everything really does happen for a reason...

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a disappointment. But, you really did get a good deal on those society garlic plants. I love them. I just picked some up earlier this spring and they have bloomed a second time for me. They rested all at the same time and bloomed all at the same time. I read the Floridata link you provided and learned that the flowers smell sweet. I'll have to check that out with mine. (I actually like the garlicky smell of the leaves.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daisy...Society garlic has beeen a winner in my garden. I've got a long border of them...all from my sister's garden. You got a great deal on your plants...and soon you'll have plenty more to spread around your garden. Sorry you missed out on the natives though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NanaK-Love the pic of you and the kids! Being Italian, I like the smell of garlic anyway!!!

    Susan-There will be another workshop coming, I'm sure.
    How wonderful that your sister shares her garden with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!