Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Birdhouse Gourd

This gourd was acquired from Debbie at
Barefoot Gardeners, where we also
get some of our produce.  I love
buying directly from the farmer.




The gourd is itself a piece of artwork.
Just look at all of the patterns and
variations of hues on this baby.
I know some people paint these,
but the natural look is more my style.
It's been dried so that the interior is hollow.


It was easy enough to carve out a hole
using an exacto knife and a little sandpaper.
A smaller hole up top allows for twine
or string for hanging.
A few holes were made on the bottom
and sides for ventilation and drainage.

The bonus is what comes out when you
shake, rattle and roll. 
Seeds to share (any takers?) so that others
can enjoy these beautiful sculptures
 of nature.


Leftover skewers (or twigs) make an easy perch
for anyone wishing to call this home.

Hope we get some visitors!
Happy (almost) spring!

6 comments:

  1. I hope you get some visitors, too. My mom grew gourds once...it was fun and I remember we made birdhouses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never grown these but they do look so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you should blog about this, Daisy. I "almost" bought some gourd seed from Baker Creek. They looked so cool!

    But I thought, "What the heck am I gonna do with that?" So I didn't. Now you've got me wishing I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan-What a fun memory! I think it would be a great homeschool project!

    Jane-Yeah, I think I'll try to grow some of my own.

    Tami-I'd be happy to send you some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about preferring the natural coloration on the gourds. Sounds like a fun project to grow and harvest the gourds. I appreciated your link to Barefoot Gardening as well. Intersting info on local food sources. I'm in a different county but it's got me to thinkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NanaK-You can find local farmers by searching under "LocalHarvest". I'll bet there's a farmer near you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!