Tuesday, January 5, 2021

It's a Fresh, New Year!

 

 


The mantra for 2020 was:
 
Go Forth.
Do Good.
 
It worked so well to keep me focused on the big picture,
that it will continue to be the song in my head this year.

 
There are always new goals,
as I am task oriented
and feel good when things are crossed off the weekly to-do list.
With so much extra time at home last year,
several garden projects were completed.
There weren't as many opportunities to volunteer
or get out into the community,
but that was a necessary element of the madness that was our reality.
 
The biggest goal for this year is my desire to do more for others.
I'm calling it The Kindness Project.
I've made myself a goal to do at least
one random act of kindness a month.
I've already started, 
but haven't yet figured out how best to share it
to keep myself accountable,
without seeming like I am seeking out praise for the endeavor.
Here's a helpful link if you are interested in joining me.
 

For the foreseeable future,
Garden Friday posts will be suspended,
as there is not much to report.
Colder temperatures have slowed growing,
although you won't hear any complaints from me.
This is the first year since we've been here,
that winter has decided to stick around for a while,
and I am enjoying every minute of it.
Chores consist mostly of leaf shredding,
wood chipping 
and peeking underneath the row covers for signs of life.
 
So, without the garden updates to share,
Friday Fotos will give a snippet of what's happening around our homestead.
 
Hoping that 2021 treats you well
and that you are able to move forward
toward your own goals.
Be Blissed!

 


 

12 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. Bedtime for the garden!

    The Kindness Project is a great idea. It seems strange that people have to be taught to be kind, but it's true, they do. The norm is being so wrapped up in ourselves and our thoughts, that it doesn't occur to us to be kind. Kindness is one of the most excellent habits to develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. It can be such little things too, like bringing in a neighbor's garbage can or offering to take their dog for a walk, but it all counts. ;0D

      Delete
  2. Hello! You know, I echo Leigh's sentiment above. It is strange that some people need to learn how to be kind. I wonder, however, if it's a "re-teaching" of sorts. I've witnessed so many children being kind. I think, sometimes, that we start out naturally kind, but then something happens. Society? Experiences? I do not know. But I love that you are focusing on ways to display your kindness. Kudos!

    Your mantra sounds great. Keep on keeping on, I say! :-D

    I do a Word for the Year. This year it is Order. I'm going to blog on that soon.

    I noted in your photo that your Barred Rock is molting! My Barred Rock Gert is molting, too! In cold Winter! I'm like, Gert, what ARE you thinking? She's only about 10 months old and this is her first molt. Thankfully she's the only one and it seems as if she's handling it well. Still worries me though in the cold. Chickens...

    Okay, time for me to go slay the dragons! :-D Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I believe we start out with a kindness gene and over time we forget how important it is.
    Love your word for the year. I'm hoping that means you'll be posting about organizing, one of my passions.

    Yes, I wondered why she would molt in the dead of winter, but am grateful that it's not that cold here, and they huddle together when necessary.

    Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chickens on the steps made me smile. Go Forth & Do Good sound like excellent mantras. You know I can relate to your to do lists and being task oriented! I think your kindness endeavors would be inspiring, and would love to hear about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you certainly get a lot done in a week!
      Thanks for the feedback on The Kindness Project.

      Enjoy the snow on Friday! Whooppee!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, Daisy! Your garden and community are coming alive for you to enjoy and share! I love the Kindness Project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being here, Melynda. I hope you have a productive year on the homestead!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE it!!! Random acts of kindness is the best. :) I try to keep mine anonymous but sometimes you just can't (paying for someone's groceries because they don't quite have enough money, etc). I'll be on the lookout for what you come up with on the sharing front, I've never really come up with a way to do so. The chickens look like they are quite comfy on their new homestead! Happy 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the anonymous acts too. Those fill my heart even more!

      All the best to you and yours in 2021!

      Delete
  7. That's really sweet of you to reach out and help others during this difficult time. I wish I had the bandwidth to do more, but I am totally obsessed with working on my current quilt projects. Your garden is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This project has nothing to do with Covid. It's something I want to incorporate into my daily life just because it's the right thing to do.

      Happy New Year to you and your family.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!