Friday, January 8, 2021

Friday Fotos

 

 
Welcome to Friday Fotos!
During the lull in the gardening season,
we'll be sharing random photographs from around the homestead.
This seasonal flag is one of a few recently purchased for our mailbox  bed.
I'm not one to buy new for the most part,
but I found a terrific company that makes quality flags
and I will share that with you soon.


 
We've been enjoying cooler temperatures for the last few weeks,
and when possible, I've been getting a few outside chores done.
My self-imposed cutoff for working outdoors is 45 degrees,
but anything above that is fair game.
Last week, the skies looked gloomy,
but it was the perfect time to embrace winter's offerings.

 
There is an area in the back of our house that is moderately wooded.
Our sweet neighbor behind us allows me to pretty much
do whatever I want back there.
We have plans to someday create a secret garden in this spot
for her grandchild to enjoy.
On this day, though, 
the task was simply to gather branches for chipping.
This gardener can never have enough wood chips!
There are still plenty more to collect,
but I am pacing myself.

 
Some of the recipients of the chipping work are the chooks.
Their coop run gets quite mucky when the weather is damp,
so I decided to add some wood chips to see if it helps with drainage.
Our rooster, Gandalf, has been acting peculiar of late.
He has been making himself at home in the nesting boxes
sometimes during the day.
This is new behavior, as they've been in this coop for 6 months.
So far, I can't figure out what his motivation is.
Any ideas out there?

 
One of the hens, Houdini,
has figured out how to fly to the top of the coop,
so that frisky Gandalf can't get to her.
More power to ya, girl!
I'm not sure if it's the lack of light or the cold,
but we're only getting one egg about every other day.
They all seem healthy and bright-eyed,
so I'm hoping it's just a seasonal thing.


Look at this handy trick I learned this week from a friend!
It's a way to wind up an extension cord
which makes it easier to carry,
as well as easier to unwind.
Some of our drop cords are somewhat heavy,
and this gets the job done quite handily.
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?


I don't stray far from home too often, but
I was able to find a new harvest basket at one of the shops
in town.
This should come in handy, as it is quite a bit larger
than the previous container I used.
Before you know it,
we'll be harvesting all sorts of fresh goodies!

 
The easiest renovation project we've done
was to replace these old registers in the whole house.
We have been wanting to do it for the last couple of years,
but couldn't find a style we both liked.
While at Lowe's this week, we decided to look again 
to see if there was anything new.
Voila!
These little changes make a big difference.

2018
 
As I write this, 
snow is forecasted overnight.
Here's hoping our mailbox looks like this tomorrow 
upon waking.

Enjoy your weekend, whatever the weather!

 

10 comments:

  1. We're also getting about an egg a day from our hens right now. I think you mentioned one or more of yours was molting, and that will affect it, in addition to the weather. A good basket is a treasure in the garden. I chose registers with a design for our home too. Yours are lovely. It's the little things. I'm looking forward to hearing about the flag company. Hoping for snow here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you got some, because we sure did!

      You're right, it's the little things that make us feel so contented.

      Enjoy your weekend, Laurie!

      Delete
  2. Daisy, no chickens here but I'm pretty sure I saw a lonely Robin a few days ago in my cedar tree. I asked him, "What are you doing here? Don't you know you supposed to be down south where it's warm?" He just looked at me and started to sing. Very strange year indeed. I'm not sure what that means for the coming year.

    We got about a seven inch snow here a week ago and then a drizzly rain a few days later that mostly melted all the snow. I did get in a few toboggan runs on New Year's Day before the rains started and melted the snow. I'm hoping to get a few more rides down the school hill before winter's end.

    Have a great day.

    Nebraska Dave
    Urban Farmer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure even the birds are trying to figure out what's going on.

      Fun, fun! We didn't get enough to go sledding, but more is predicted for next week! I adore living where there are 4 seasons!
      Blessings in the New Year, Dave!

      Delete
  3. Our rooster used to hang out in the boxes sometimes too. I thought it was so funny. He was so clumsy so the only negative was I was afraid he'd break eggs but he didn't. Light and cool weather both decrease production. We just started lighting our coop from 4p - 9p and we're back in production again. Not full production but 4-6 per day so all is well. You're so right that the small details make a big difference. And what a lovely basket! No doubt it will get used a lot this next growing season. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope you received the snow you were wishing for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information about the chooks. I guess we'll just wait it out. I do have a neighbor from whom I can purchase eggs, so it'll be fine.

      We did get snow!

      Delete
  4. So cool to see photos of your homestead. You have such beautiful trees on your property! I recently replaced my registers too. It really does make a difference--and, yes, it's so easy! Hope you get snow and that you post pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you hear, Leslie. Yes, I love that we have a small wooded section to our yard. Always something interesting going on there.
      Snow pictures promised for Friday Fotos!

      Delete
  5. Hello! I am behind on my blog round visits. :-) Awesome photos. It's always interesting to see what people are up to!

    Chicken run wood chips: That's what we decided to go with. We purchase about a yard of "playground wood chips" from the local gravel pit and that has worked really well. We will actually be shoveling out the current chips (what's left of them) from the coop run in the next month or so and adding fresh ones. A yard runs about $42.

    I am a basket seeker myself! :-D I've scored some pretty good ones at our local ReStore (Habitat for Humanity) store.

    Wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the wood chips. Thankfully, our neighbors have offered up all of their twigs, so we should have an ample supply! ;0D

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!