Friday, January 13, 2017

The Magic of Snow




The last time I saw snow was in my 20's.
On vacation in California, we happened upon it
and took full advantage of playing in it.



I remember thinking as a kid how magical it seemed.
Growing up in Illinois, I saw mountains of it every winter.
Then we moved to Florida,
and that was the end of my love affair with the perplexing precipitation.


Or so I thought.
This past weekend marked the first full week living in North Carolina.
And the onset of our first winter storm.
It got downright frigid,
with temperatures in our area dipping into the single digits.



With it, came about 8 inches of snow.
It was amazingly beautiful.



Although our garden gnome didn't quite know what to make of it,
I was absolutely transfixed.


The blanket of snow that covered the grounds
created a sense of tranquility and wonder within myself.
What an astonishing transformation!


Our two Elements, Ginger and Kale,
have never seen the likes of this before.
Slow in starting, they were not likely a fan of the drop in temperatures.





An unexpected and outstanding activity was tracking these footprints near the house.
Each day, I would trek outside to see what critters may have been visiting overnight.
Absolutely fascinating!


Here's my boot print next to a set of tracks.
I think it's a bunny, by the way the tracks are laid out.
What do you think? 


I wasn't expecting this overwhelming sense of peace.
It somehow feels right.
There is no doubt in my mind that we are following our path
by living a more seasonal life.
We made it through our first snowstorm a week after landing here.
I'd say we've been initiated!



Of course, it was too tempting to build a snowman,
so we fashioned ours with a little twist.
An homage to the life we left behind,
while embracing our new lifestyle.


Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
wherever you are!


Simple Homestead Blog Hop











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!