Friday, May 9, 2014

Being a Homesteader




Our home had been listed for sale for 6 months,
but we recently took it off the market.
We weren't able to list it for the price we'd like,
so we are holding off until closer to fall and we'll try again.
We feel that we're ready to move to a more rural life,
and yet, the universe is calling us to stay here for a bit longer.
We don't have to like it, we just have to accept it.
It doesn't keep us from working toward our goals though.


When we moved to this tract house in the suburbs 9 years ago,
it never occurred to me that I'd become a homesteader.
How can one homestead in a gated community?
How can I call myself a homesteader when we live on 
less than a fraction of an acre?
It's easy.



Homesteading is a state of mind.
It doesn't matter where you live
or what your outside world looks like.
Homesteading resides within.

For most folks, homesteading is defined as
being self-sufficient.
That can happen anywhere.
Even if one lives in an apartment, an attached condo, or a skyscraper,
a more self-supporting lifestyle is possible.
Being a homeowner does make it a little easier
because it's possible to control what happens in your own home.




Being self-sufficient lends itself well to those of us 
who lean toward independence and creating new ways of doing things.
Those who "think outside the box" 
will be right at home with this lifestyle
because many adaptations may need to be made to create the desired life.




Even better, though, than remaining independent,
is fostering a community of interdependence.
Bartering, sharing skills, tools, or a garden bounty
are all ways of nurturing the homesteader in others.
Isn't it interesting how folks come together during a natural disaster,
only to return to their isolated lives after a few months' time?
Having lived through Hurricane Andrew in South Florida,
I can tell you that it was heartwarming to see how even strangers
united to put the pieces back together.
That type of comradery can be cultivated in the world of homesteading.




Self reliance is a noble objective,
and one which we strive to achieve in our own way.
We scratch cook, repair most of what breaks down
and grow some of our own food.
I love every bit of that.
The intention for me has shifted to one of inter-reliance.
We've been blessed to find folks who sell pesticide-free produce that we don't grow ourselves,
and since we can't presently have chickens,
another farmer allows us to buy her fresh eggs.
It's a wonderfully symbiotic relationship
and we feel it is important to support folks who are doing it right.
When we move later this year,
we will be looking for a community in which we can participate
by offering our skills, talents and hard work.
We hope to avail ourselves of these assets in others.
We'll have more freedom to raise chickens,
enlarge our garden and begin the task
of establishing our teaching farm
for kids on the autism spectrum.
By networking with like-minded souls,
our lives will be enriched and on purpose.



We'll never live in suburbia again,
but we wouldn't have realized how important that was 
until we'd been through it.
The journey has been magnificent,
and I am so grateful that we took this path.
Until we have our dream farm,
we'll continue to do what we can for ourselves,
remain connected to those who share our intentions,
and enjoy being part of a homesteading alliance.





simple saturdays featured button



barnhopimage

Backyard Farming Connection

Darling Downs Diaries

Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop



12 comments:

  1. Great thougts.
    I've seen some pretty amazing "tiny homesteads"--I've seen 1/10th acre ones that put my garden to shame.
    It really is just a matter of DOING IT, like you said.
    I sure hope you find that dream farm. I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy, you are so right about homesteading. It really is a mindset and not a place where you live. I would not consider myself a homesteader but instead a some what of an Urban Farmer which is becoming more and more popular from what I've been reading. It's a great way to capitalize on unused land within the city. As you know I have some backyard raised beds and a larger property for gardening a few minutes away from where I live. It's just my way of expressing my city homesteading mindset. I hope and pray that your house will sell this fall for the amount that you have in mind and that you can find a place that fits your homestead dreams.

    Have a being a homesteader where you are kind of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you are taking over unused properties and using them to grow food. How cool! Thanks for the prayers!

      Delete
  3. Oh I sure hope your house sells the next time. We lived in town for 7 years. I made use of every little space for growing things. And it is nice to have farm fresh eggs that you can buy. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! My goodness is it hard to remember to be patient when you're trying to move toward a goal but you have such a wonderful way of looking at everything and I admire that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in divine order, so I need not worry. ;0)

      Delete
  5. I agree with you in not having self reliance as the major goal. For me it is raising food in a way that is humane, sustainable, and wildlife-friendly. I guess you could say it is interdependence with Nature that I am after. Working with it, instead of against it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Janet
    http://ouroneacrefarm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We share similar ideas about food. Continued blessings...

      Delete
  6. This is a great article and you are so right, homesteading is part of who you are not where you live, you can do so much with so little. Thank you for sharing this at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!