Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Tuna Casserole

 


I've had a craving lately for comfort foods.
What's more comforting than tuna casserole?
Although I don't remember my magnificent mamma making this,
it brought home to me feelings of downright bliss with each bite.
As usual, I tweaked it to my liking, but
my version is loosely based on this recipe.
I used egg noodles and dairy-free cheese
instead of the traditional elbows and standard cheddar.
Next time I make it I will add more veg,
maybe peas and carrots or some kale.
Of course, it can easily be made gluten and dairy free,
by swapping out with gf pasta and olive oil
in place of the ghee.
 
Every mouthful fed my spirit as well as my hunger.
This one's a keeper!


Tuna Casserole
Half a bag of egg noodles
3 T ghee
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 C almond milk
2 T arrowroot powder
1 can tuna (I use this brand)
few slices of daiya cheddar cheese
1/2 t garlic powder
salt/pepper to taste
1 slice Deland oatmeal bread
 
Cook noodles until al dente.
In a skillet, sautee the onion in 2 T of ghee.
Once the onion is soft, add  arrowroot powder.
Cook a few minutes, just until it is covered with the ghee.
Add milk of choice and whisk until smooth
and thickened.
Add tuna and seasonings,
then transfer to a casserole dish.
Combine with cooked noodles.
Add ghee to crumbled bread slice,
then top the casserole with this mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. oooh that looks good! I crave "it" (comfort food) all the time teehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean!
      Thanks for stopping by! ;0D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!