Friday, February 11, 2022

Garden Friday

 First and foremost,
I need to send birthday wishes
to the best friend anyone could ask for!
Happy Birthday, my dear sister!


Welcome to Garden Friday,
where we share what's going on in our Zone 7b
Piedmont garden.
I know it's February,
but where did winter get to?
We've had daytime temps in the 50's and 60's.
What a blessing for those of us
who prefer to be outdoors.

 
A quick check in the pollinator box
showed that the candytuft made it through
the winter with no problem.
Can't wait to see this bloom again!

 
Spring is still weeks away,
but try telling that to the daffodils.
They are already popping up all over the neighborhood.

 
The irises in the mailbox bed are waking up as well.
These need to be divided,
so I will try to find some folks who need some.


 
In the veggie beds,
the leek are getting some weight to them.
In fact, this one is ready to harvest.
More leek will be planted soon.
It's one of my favorite crops,
as it is easy to grow through colder times and really has no pest issues.
 

 
Even the lettuce,
which had been bitten by old Jack Frost
(and his sister Jill Freeze),
is crunchy and delicious.
Lettuce will be another direct seed planting coming up.

 
These potatoes are from our last harvest.
They had been placed in a bag
so that we would have seed potatoes for the spring.
Well, I guess they got a bit impatient.
They went absolutely bonkers!


 
About a dozen were planted in one of the raised beds.

 
I placed 2 in each square foot spot
and covered them up with the moist soil.

 
I also decided to try growing them in a bucket.
A five gallon bucket with holes drilled
into the bottom was used.
This should make harvest time a cinch!


Some of our homemade compost was added,
so we're hoping for good things.
With the warmer temperatures,
I'm expecting these to take off fairly quickly.

 
 I'm happy to say that we have completed the new run for the chooks.
We like the more streamlined look.
We used conduit and welded wire and it went in without any trouble.
The chooks have a bit more space to roam now,
and we will continue to work on the area.
Next I want to reposition the arches
and see if I can find new shade covers.
I'm also planning on moving the smaller coop
(seen on the right side),
to the middle of the run.
Our hope is that someone will get broody 
and it will be used for hatching.
If we end up with no broodies,
a friend is willing to hatch some eggs for us.
Our egg production has picked up,
but having some new layers will ensure
that next winter we won't be without.
 
And who can say no to more chooks?

6 comments:

  1. My husband picked up the chick list from the feed & seed this week. This year, we're going to add a few new ones, though if one goes broody, we'll let her sit too. Signs of spring are surely welcome after this cold winter. Enjoy these warmer days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, new chicks for everyone! ;0D

      Yes, the weather has been just fabulous for working outside.

      Delete
  2. Awww...happy birthday to your sister. That's so nice that you have a close relationship.

    Wow - temps in the 50's and 60's!! We hit the low 40's for 2 days and I was thrilled. I had to laugh when I saw your buckets for potato growing this year. I'm going to give it a go as well! I've been saving a few from the oils we buy in 5-gallon buckets for soap making. I'm going to try growing a few things in them this year - it would allow me to grow more in the front yard where there is more sun. If I recall correctly, didn't the people from your farm school series in Florida grow a lot in buckets?

    You crack me up - "who can say no to more chooks".....my husband feels exactly the same although we aren't interested in hatching. We were very fortunate to have been blessed with females when we have hatched our own, but we know that was incredibly lucky. It's just too hard to have more than 1 rooster at a time.

    Your lettuce makes me crave fresh greens!!

    Hoping you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Staci, my farmer friends in Florida had a 7,000 square foot garden-all containers! That's why I know that anything can be grown in a bucket! I can't wait to see your spuds come up! It's a great solution to suit your growing conditions.

      Wow, all hens? What a blessing. I've already wondered what we'll do if we end up with a rooster or two. Sure can't keep 'em here.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. It's so happy seeing things wanting to grow. And it's lovely seeing your chicken run improvements. Hopefully, your chickens will reward you for your efforts with lots of eggs and chicks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. Yes, we are already seeing an uptick in eggs!

      Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!