Friday, August 27, 2021

Garden Friday

 
 
It's another Garden Friday and we are in a state of transition.
While we have a few things still growing in the garden,
it will soon be time to seed our fall and cover crops.

 
Believe it or not, this is our first okra of the season.
We got a late start with this heat lover,
but by the looks of the future temperatures,
summer isn't going away anytime soon.
Who knows?
We may get enough to pickle!

 
The basil was another late bloomer,
although it was planted early in the season.
I'm hoping to get at least a few batches of pesto made
and put into the freezer for later use.

 
The Red Ripper beans are starting to strut their stuff,
climbing the bamboo A-frame.
These are one of the best drying beans I've ever eaten.

 
I somehow lost the tag to this melon plant,
so I'll have to refer to my seed packets to find the variety.
I believe it is a cross between a honey dew and a cantaloupe.
 It doesn't look close to being ready to harvest.


 
A few of the Kajari melons have ripened,
but were split from the inconsistent rain we've been getting.
I'm hoping I'll still get to taste one this season.
In any case, seed was saved for next year's planting.


The sweet potatoes keep on a rockin' the bed!
They are sprawling all over the place,
and I'm thankful we have the space for them to ramble.
This bed will be filled with cover crops when it is harvested.

 
The loofah has taken on some size.
Before you know it, they are huge!
By the time the fruit gets to be this size,
it starts to get squishy,
which means that the "sponge" is starting to develop inside.
I hope to have enough to share again this year.

 
The pumpkin flowers are so striking.
So far, no fruit is forming,
but we are as patient as we need to be.

 
Some time was spent this week mixing up our soil
with the amendments we had on hand.
I had planned to fill the raised beds with it on Tuesday,
but I lost a day due to the effect of the shingles vaccine.
I hope to tackle this task on the weekend
so that I can start planting!

 
I've been working on collecting various seeds.
These are from the gorgeous moonflowers 
we've been enjoying each evening.
It looks like I'll have plenty to give away.

 
The tithonia, or Mexican sunflower, always provides lots of seeds
so that they can be planted every year.
This is one of my favorite summer blooms. 
I really want to be better about saving seeds each year.

 
This woody patch in our backyard is where I think the bunnies live.
We purposely pile up brush for critters to have a safe haven.
We often see rabbits in the front or side yard.

 
Look at this cute lil' thing I spied one evening.
When I picked it up to show C,
it squealed and squealed!
I'm not sure who was more surprised!


We've been having a problem with finding dead bees
on the front porch every morning.
Several will be found curled up in this position.
It's curious, as we don't use chemicals on the homestead.

 
I have a mind to transplant some of this supple grass.
This resides underneath a canopy of trees,
but it's so graceful that I would like to use it elsewhere.
I love any kind of native grasses
and hope to add some to the property over time.


We got over an inch of rain this week,
for which we are so grateful.
This seasonal transition is always an upbeat time.
With the hope that every lil' seed brings,
we dream of what could be,
and work to make it so.
 
May your garden and your homestead be blessed.

5 comments:

  1. What a dear little rabbit. I hope that's the start of many okra from your garden, as well as the beans. Ours is slowing down, though this week the yellow squash are coming in well, and hazelnuts and concord grapes were gathered. Hoping we'll have cooler temps after these next few days. More rain would be most welcome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazelnuts? Oh my stars, that must be such a joy to gather them! What a treasure!

      I felt a slight nip of fall in the air one day last week, so I know it's on its way. I surely love having four distinct seasons.

      Yes, I hope we both get some rain!

      Delete
  2. Your front walk is stunning! You've really done a beautiful job with making it such a warm and welcoming place with so much to see. It's definitely a talent you possess.

    That bunny is absolutely adorable! We've had a few, though I haven't seen any littles as small as yours, and they are so sweet. They lounge away in the grass.

    Red Ripper Beans - interesting. I'm hoping to be able to plant drying beans next year. I'll have to look for this one. Do you happen to have another favorite you would recommend? And that loofah is impressive!

    I've made most of my switch over to fall crops. I'm still harvesting some broccoli, cauliflower, and greens from summer plantings and of course there's still plenty of tomatoes and green beans. My second planting of beets and carrots is getting ready to be pulled and we're still harvesting potatoes. I'm so happy with how well they've done this year!

    I enjoy the native grasses as well. I started incorporating some a couple of years ago and hope to include more. They add such texture and movement, don't they?

    Hoping all is going well with you. And I've been looking for that photo of you with your sunflowers. Did I miss it?
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Stacie, you are so sweet! I haven't taken the photo of the sunflowers yet, and now they are all drooping, of course. I'll get to it this weekend, although we may both look bedraggled. ;0p

    It sounds like you had a fantastic gardening season! It's amazing to me that you can grow broccoli during the summer months. I look forward to seeing the creation of your front yard garden.

    I can send you some Red Rippers. The other beans that have done well for folks I know are the rattlesnake beans. I definitely want to get better at growing beans in general. They are a staple in my diet and I would love to never have to buy them again!

    Enjoy your weekend, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broccoli can be a bit finicky and sometimes bolts but this year I've had great luck with both the broccoli and cauliflower! Thanks for the bean info!! And bedraggled or not I'm sure it will be a great photo. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!