Friday, August 6, 2021

Garden Friday

 
 
 
It's Garden Friday and we are lovin' summer right now!
This past week has been absolutely delightful
with mild temperatures and low humidity.
Did you know that Moonflowers could be anything but white?
I sure didn't until these beauties started blooming.

 
They are working on getting the porch posts covered
and the blossoms begin around 6 p.m.
and last until morning.

 
The thistle feeder was recently moved
closer to the front porch,
with the thought that maybe the finches wouldn't venture that close to the house.
Wrong!
We've been enjoying watching them on it every day,
as well as seeing them pull out the seeds from the black-eyed Susans.

 
One thing I realized this year,
is that I didn't plant enough zinnias.
This is one of my favorite summer flowers,
so I'll have to make a mental note for next spring.

 
The cannas next to the front porch steps looked bedraggled
for such a long time, I had feared they may not make it.
But, lo and behold, they are coming right along
and seem to relish their time in the afternoon sunshine.

 
The balloon flowers in the butterfly bed
haven't stopped blooming all summer.
This easy perennial reseeds itself,
so there is always plenty of color around.

 
Our lone tithonia, another favorite sits in the mailbox bed.
I know I planted tons of this seed,
but perhaps I neglected to water enough.
Goodness knows, Mother Nature has not been too generous
 with rainfall this spring and summer.
I vow to do better next year.


 
With the cooler temperatures,
I managed to do a bit of tidying up in the garden beds.
It feels good to keep things looking their best.

 
Yesterday, I discovered how the chooks were getting out
of their temporary run.
The squirrels around here are notorious for chewing through
just about anything.
One of the biggest projects on my list for fall
is to build a more permanent fencing structure
with welded wire surrounding it.

 
On the intentional growing side of things,
the watermelons are popping up all over!

 
It will be so thrilling to harvest these for our family.
Fingers crossed!

 
The one-year asparagus is morphing into something a bit weird.
I am new to growing asparagus,
and since the garden was moved last year,
I had to start over with new plants.
This is the first time I've seen this.

 
It seems that stalks are attempting to grow,
although I know we can't harvest this year.

 
The resident bunnies have been taking shelter underneath
the sweet potato vine arches.
It offers shade and safety from predators.

 
This cutie was scared off when I was doing a garden check,
and then went right back over to the sweet potatoes.

 
One of the butternut squashes looks like it will be ready to eat soon.
These are delicious roasted and eaten as such,
or turned into a creamy dairy-free soup.

 
The sunflowers in the pollinator bed are done.
I still haven't gotten a picture with them,
but I will have Big K take one soon.
This has become a yearly ritual,
and it makes me feel so joyful to see them towering over me.
I planted some Autumn Glory sunflowers in the bed
so that we can enjoy them all fall.

 
Note to self:
check to make sure the correct irrigation line is on.
I didn't realize that I forgot to turn the water back on to the garden,
and the strawberries are suffering for it.

 
Fortunately, the plants in the two towers fared better
and even had something to offer.

 
The beans have been left to dry on the vines,
and I'm thinking of planting more for fall,
just to see what I get.

 
I mean, can you ever have enough beans?
They last forever in your pantry 
and can be used for so many dishes.



The decision has been made to go ahead
and fill up the raised beds with compost and amendments before fall planting.
The garden is at a lull at the moment,
and I know that I will soon be ready to get the fall crops started.
All of the beds need topping off,
and it might help me have a better seasonal harvest.
 
How are things in your summer garden?
 

6 comments:

  1. Your flowers are so beautiful!! I have my fingers crossed for you and the watermelon. I'm sorry about the strawberries. What a bummer! Happy you were able to get some though. Your butternut is beautiful - it will be delicious! Fall planting - it seems so strange to realize that time is here.... Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers have been instrumental in our boom in pollinators this year. Each year it seems we get more and more. Grateful.

      Thanks for visiting, Staci!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know about other colors of moonflowers. Yours is very pretty. That looks like a female asparagus, and what will be the berries. Our garden is having an interesting year. Very few squash and cucumbers, though pretty bountiful tomatoes and beans. There have been a few eggplant, but not many, and something keeps chewing on the peppers. I hope the rain this evening and tonight will make a difference with all of it. Hope you get some too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info on the asparagus. It's been a sparse harvest for me this summer. But I'll keep trying. Glad you got some rain.

      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  3. I love all your colorful flowers--so pretty! Your watermelons are looking great too, and it's so neat that there are bunnies living in the little sweet potato vine cave. The weather sounds wonderful--it's sweltering down here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leslie! Yes, the bunnies are sweet, as long as they don't eat anything in the garden! ;0D
      We're gearing up for heat again this week, but the respite was enjoyable.

      So good to see you here! Enjoy your week!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!