Friday, December 6, 2019

Garden Friday




 It's Garden Friday once again,
and we're enjoying brisk days under a Carolina Blue sky.


The cover crops sown a couple of weeks ago
have started to fill in the two new raised beds.



This Winter Mix should enable the soil to soak up some nutrients
and be ready for planting in the spring.
It also helps to keep the soil warmer, so sowing can occur sooner.
It's wonderful to have something colorful out there 
during the bleaker time of year.


The leek are off to a sllllooowww start,
no doubt hindered by our cooler-than-normal daytime temperatures. 


 One ray of hope springs forward in these seed trays 
that were all but forgotten under the lorapetalum bush.
With the sporadic dousing we've been getting,
it's no wonder that they have done well with absolutely no help from me.
The anticipation of fresh greens is highly motivating!
Perhaps I will even start some seed trays inside
and see what happens.


Being gifted these bushel baskets,
I feel the obligation to do something creative with them,
even if it's just to transplant my salad greens into them!
I love me some old baskets!


Yesterday, I took advantage of having a day off
to harvest the remaining loofah on the trellis.
Many of them are squishy and nasty looking,
which is what I've been told is expected.
They will be left to dry out and be ready for processing
in the next couple of months.


Check out the cool wagon I found on CL for $20!
It has come in mighty handy these last few weeks.


Bless its heart,
the allysum is still blooming
and providing pollen for the bees that are hearty enough to withstand our weather.
What a treat to still have such glorious color!


Plans this weekend include lighting up the garden
for the holidays.
It's a new venture, so it should be fun.
Let's hope we have enough extension chords to get the job done!
Enjoy your weekend, y'all!

8 comments:

  1. Putting the garden to bed is one of my favorite things. It gets me excited for the changes I'll make in spring. Although I can't even see my garden beds anymore because of so much snow, I know it's getting it's well-deserved rest. I'm so excited to see your outdoor lighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a bit sad that I'm not growing more this year, but that's just the way it turned out.
      Come spring, I'll be more than ready to sow, sow, sow!

      Delete
  2. Wow, the alyssum must be some pretty hardy stuff. Great deal on the wagon! My husband bought a similar one for his shop, and it was $100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's amazing how well it's done with our frosts and freezes.
      This wagon is a smaller version, probably retails for around $50-$60, so not bad!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't live without my wagon--it's used for hauling laundry out to the line and of course--hundreds of garden chores.
    Alyssum is such a great plant--and if you leave those in place over winter, there will be TONS of seedlings underneath in Spring to take their place.

    Hope all else is well with you. Weather has been warmish (for here), but that's set to change later today.
    I'm sort of glad because when the weather is nice, I want to be in the yard, but there's not a whole lot to be done here this time of year.
    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Looking forward to seeing more of your yard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you here, Sue. Thanks for the tips about the alyssum. They will be left right where they are! ;0D

      We are set for a miserable week of cold, damp and rainy weather. Perfect for staying indoors and working on projects or completing a jigsaw puzzle. Love being home on days like this.

      Thank you for staying in touch. Hope all is well with you and yours.

      Delete
  4. I've never tried growing loofahs, but I think they look so cool hanging on their vines--kind of like sculpture. I'd love to try them someday. Your bushel baskets are awesome, and I totally agree with you--old baskets are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! Glad to hear from you. Loofahs would do well down there, since you have lots of hot, sticky days.
      I think you and I could have a lot of fun thrifting for baskets and such!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!