Thursday, September 27, 2018

Grain-Free Sweet Potato Pancakes (gf,df,sf)




In an effort to find a solution to the dermatitis plaguing my hands,
I have decided to try going grain-free for a month
and see if it makes any difference.
I have already changed out all of my personal care products
and eliminated all Sulfates from anything that touches my skin.
I'm also excluding nightshades and almost all dairy,
in an effort to promote healing.
These are all foods that can become problematic,
so I thought I would give it a go.
Truth be told, the first 2 days without grains was pretty tough.
Bread is such a comfort food
and I miss my toast and jam something fierce.
But, the only way I'll know if it is a factor,
is if I eliminate it and then reintroduce these things
one at a time.
Allergy testing was done a few months ago,
but are not reliable.
Sensitivities do not show up on those tests,
only true allergies.
So, here we go again, trying to find our own answers.



This recipe gives me the comfort of carbs
without any grain at all.
A stash will be kept in the fridge
to be eaten a couple of times a week.
Other changes I've made are smoothies for breakfast,
and substituting celery, carrots and kale to be eaten with
hummus, tuna salad or egg salad.
It's a challenge to find satisfying foods,
since I have a fondness for sandwiches, pasta and oatmeal.
But after all, it's only for a month
and it is allowing me to discover new ways to add even more veg to my diet.
These pancakes are great for anyone who needs allergy-friendly food,
and I imagine that squash or pumpkin could be subbed out for the sweet taters.
Add some local honey and your favorite berries on top,
and you're talking yummalicious!

Sweet Potato Pancakes

1/2 C mashed sweet potato
3 T almond flour 
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t cinnamon
2 eggs
1 t butter (optional)

Cook sweet potato until soft, then mash in a bowl.
Beat eggs, then add remaining ingredients (except butter).
Whisk until smooth.
In a skillet, spray with cooking oil or add butter, 
then add 1/3 C mixture over medium heat.
(I added coconut oil instead of butter to keep it vegan).
Cook 3 minutes per side,
until each side is a golden brown.
Add favorite toppings and enjoy!
 Serves 2-4. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!