Thursday, September 13, 2018

Lemongrass Salsa




 This is lemongrass.
It grows gangbusters through the summer here in NC.
We'll find out this winter if it will survive the cold.
It's an easy plant that needs no coddling.
I first became familiar with it back in Florida,
where my friends Faye & Lynn grow it on their organic farm.
They also introduced me to this recipe for lemongrass salsa.
I changed it a bit to my liking, and it is quite refreshing.
It's reason alone to add this crop to your garden.



 The lemongrass grows in stalks, like most grasses.
A few of the older stalks toward the center of the plant were snipped.
The outside of the stalk was peeled, much like a leek,
 until only the white was showing.


Now that our tomatoes are coming in,
it was a great way to use some of them up.


 This is one, happy bowl full of flavor.
A few simple ingredients and in less than 10 minutes,
you'll be scarfing it down with your favorite chips.
If you have a bit more patience, let it sit,
so that the flavors can become more developed.



Lemongrass Salsa
 
2 stalks lemongrass (white part, minced)
2 red chili peppers, finely chopped (I used red pepper flakes)
2 T chopped cilantro (I used parsley)
1/4 t salt
1 medium red onion, diced (I used 1 small yellow onion)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 T white vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
2 T vegetable oil (I used olive oil)

Wash fresh ingredients and combine in a bowl.
Chill 1 hour before serving.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Enjoy!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!