Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Advanced Gardener Series


Last week, I featured our local library in Sherrills Ford, North Carolina.
Today, I wanted to share another great library that's about 20 minutes away,
and offers something I'd been hoping to find in our new location.


Main Library, Newton



The Advanced Gardener Series takes place at 3 different public libraries,
including the Main Library in Newton.
These courses foster the green thumb in newbie gardeners
and help those of us who have never grown food in this climate.
The program consists of once a month classes
on various topics which include discussion with
the Extension Center Director, who teaches the classes.



Here is a list of a few of the upcoming classes:

January:  Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage & More  
February:  Gardening with Chickens  
March:  Delicious Roots & Shoots  
April:  The Big 4 of Every Garden  
May:  Everything Herbs

Attending 9 out of the 11 classes per year 
and performing volunteer work
in community gardens as part of the program,
earns participants a certificate as an Advanced Gardener.
If you've heard of Master Gardener courses,
this is similar, but more geared toward folks
who don't have daytime hours available to attend classes.
I've been missing my Farm School visits on Sundays,
and this would be a great way to be of service to someone
in my community.



Along with a bevy of books from my local branch,
I'm spending some time this winter
getting ready for gardening season.
Reading is fundamental,
but there is nothing like learning by doing.
It's the way I learn best. 
I'm grateful for the opportunity to expand my knowledge
as I cultivate my Carolina garden.

 "Growth itself contains the germ of happiness."



-Pearl Buck  


Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!