Monday, June 11, 2012

A Real HeadBanger

These four things saved my life.






Not literally,
but I sure am glad I had them when I needed them.
Let me explain...

One of the items on our "before we list our house" checklist
was to have the carpets cleaned.
It's something we should have done years ago,
but I was always concerned about putting chemicals into
Lil' Guy's world.
I found a company that uses a hypoallergenic and natural solution.
So, last Wednesday they came and cleaned the carpets
throughout our home.
Didn't know it was a two-for-one special.
I had my clock cleaned at the same time.



The folks who were working on the carpet told us to
wear white socks while the carpets were drying.
I had taken out socks for Mimi and Lil' Guy,
but had forgotten my own, so I went in our closet to get some.
Big mistake.





In making the turn off the wet carpet to the wet tile, I fell. 
Hard.
I landed on my head,
but I can't tell you what I hit or what I landed on.
I just knew it hurt.
A lot.
I was dazed and confused,
not realizing what had happened.


Being the caregiver for two people
doesn't allow me the luxury
of just dropping everything to tend to myself.
And being the hard-headed individual
I've always been, I tried to shake it off.
Big K came home early from work and helped out.
The next day, I got in to see my doctor.
It was a concussion.
She told me I should have gone to the ER.
Ooops...


Please learn from my mistake.
It could have ended up much worse.
I am grateful for getting through this ordeal
with the help of family and friends who took over
my daily responsibilities
and allowed me to rest and recover.
I'm still recuperating,
but hopefully each day will get a bit better.



I can't help but wonder if God was trying to slow me down.
It also occured to me that I was experiencing
a bit of what Lil' Guy goes through daily,
being sensitive to light and noise.




If you suffer a head injury:
          1) Immediately call 911 or go to the emergency room
               if you have someone to take you there
         2) Do not take any nsaids
         3) Have someone stay with you
         4) Eat lightly (broth, soup, smoothies, soft foods)
         5) Do not exercise or exert yourself
         6) Rest as much as possible


And get yourself some earplugs, sunglasses,
Tylenol and yoga pants.
You're gonna need them.

Stay safe out there!





11 comments:

  1. You are SO lucky, Daisy! This is a very good reminder to ALL of us that head injuries are nothing to brush off. I still remember my shock at Natasha Richardsons death (head injury slipping on a ski slope)a few years ago.

    Gosh, I hope you feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord does have to literally "hit some of His people on the hid" to get their attention. Whatever the lesson is here, I hope it reveals itself and soon. Do take care and slow down at bit.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about this. Hope you are ok. And slow down! Have a good week .
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Glad you were okay, Daisy. Take care, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Daisy! I'm glad you are slowly recovering, but very sorry you got hurt :( Definitely let yourself go slowly and heal for as long as it takes to feel better, I know concussions sometime can take a long time to totally fade. Glad you had some help through the worst of it!
    katy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my that is terrible, but so glad it ended up ok for you. I agree, head injuries are nothing to fool around with. A little bump in the wrong place can kill you. Wow, so glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tami-Thanks for the well wishes. I'm taking it easy this week.

    Darla-Yeah, I guess I'm one stubborn chick. Will do.

    Sue-You enjoy your week.

    Kat-I'm workin' on it.

    katy-Thanks for your kindness. I am learning to let go of things...


    Jane-Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, found you thru the farmgirl bloghop...oh, that sounds like it hurt bad! Glad you're okay...thanks for the great safety tips!

    Blessings,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori-Thanks for stopping by! Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!