Sunday, November 7, 2010

One mystery solved



Turns out the mystery plant I have cropping up all over here is called saltbush.
It's a native and coming into bloom right now. I asked one of the master gardeners
about it at the festival I went to on Saturday. You can read about it here: http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/Saltbush_Baccharis_halimifolia.pdf


Bringing a clipping to the extension agency is helpful,
but even the experts are sometimes not able to identify volunteers.






I had wondered about this beauty that is prolific and self-seeding, but the agent wasn't able to give me any information. As I don't relish the thought of (nor have the time for) scouring tomes of horitcultural identification manuals, I'll just appreciate it for what it is and the beauty it adds to the landscape. As I see more things pulling up the covers on the growing season, it's a treat to have anything with color. I know in time, the answer will come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!