Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I.D.required

Thanks to Susan at Simply Susan, for helping me identify this plant
with its lovely seed pod.





She steered me toward this website: http://www.flwildflowers.com/gallery/,
which has a treasure trove of information on Florida wildflowers. Learning something new always propels me to research even more. There is so much great information on the web just for the asking. This green-thumb wannabe never tires of finding out everything I can
to enhance my daily meditative practice in the garden.
When the garden is in harmony, it can't help but envelope everything around it.
I think that's why I visit Susan's and Meem's gardens so often. They always have something to teach me and just seeing their gorgeous edens inspires me to keep learning and experimenting. Gardeners are a generous bunch in thought and deed.

The Crotalaria is a member of the pea family, and shares the name "rattlebox" with the moth. This species is Crotalaria spectabilis. It is poisonous to livestock because of its alkaloids. Its name comes from the same Latin name that rattlesnakes have. When the pods of the plant are ready to seed, one can shake the pod, which has changed from green to brown, and hear the seeds rattle around.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Daisy...I am just like you. I like to know more about the plants I grow, and this wildflower has some neat info. on it.

    I went in search of those moth eggs on my plant...by the way, that moth was gorgeous...but I didn't see any evidence. I will wait and see if any of the seeds are eaten. Either way, I'm definitely saving some seeds and will try to grow them late next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am saving the seeds now and have them posted for giveaway on our local gardening exchange. Keep me posted on the eggs! daisy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Daisy. Nice to find another Florida blog! ...though it appears you will soon be moving. We used to live 'round the corner from the old Cypress Gardens (which I really miss). It seemed always to revive from the dead after closing down in the past, but with the new Legoland venture, it seems there is closure at last.

    I've photographed the aptly named Bella Moth on wild-growing rattlebox at my son's property, which just happens to be located in your neck of the woods. There was a huge swath of it at the back of the property. So beautiful! Of course, the rattlebox is all gone now, as it is not compatible with a horse pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Floridagirl! We are about 7 minutes from the new Legoland. I hope they keep some of the "Old FL" spirit that Cypress Gardens seemed to have.

    Thanks for the info about this plant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!