Thursday, January 17, 2019

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili


I have recently learned about the importance of brining beans.
Often a method used for chicken or turkey,
the method is the same when used for legumes.
It's so easy to do
and really changes not only the flavor of the beans,
but adds a creaminess to the texture.
In fact, this stuff is so good that  
I have to confess,
it was gone so quickly that I never took pictures of the dish.
The photo below is actually a shot from a previous bean recipe 
before I learned about brining.
I hope all will be forgiven
when you taste how good this combination turns out to be.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients
to your liking.
I've never met a bean I didn't like
and the spices used here could certainly be changed up,
but I use what I have on hand.




Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

1 C dry black beans
1 1/2 t salt

2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 2" cubes
1/2 onion, diced 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
1 T olive oil
2 t cumin
1/4 t salt
1/2 C homemade gravy (tomato sauce)

1.  Brine beans overnight.
Place black beans in 4 C water
with salt added.
Rinse and then cook beans 1-1 1/2 hours.
(You can also cook beans in crock pot on low for 6 hours.)

2.  When beans are ready,
add garlic, olive oil, onions and sweet potatoes to a medium pot.
Cook over medium-low heat about 10-15 minutes.

3.  Add cooked beans, seasonings and gravy.

Serve over baked potatoes, noodles, 
polenta, rice, or crusty bread.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!