Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Zero Waste Gift Wrapping




 Last week, we showed how to make snowflakes using only 2 materials:  paper and scissors.
In keeping with our penchant toward less waste, 
 our gift wrapping practices have changed.
For many years, I made my own gift wrap,
reusing the butcher paper that came in packages
and stamping or adding embellishments to the plain brown wrappers.
It all got recycled after the holidays,
but I wanted to do better.


 While visiting the ReStore recently,
I was looking for fabric to use instead of wrapping paper for our gifts.
I came upon two holiday-themed tablecloths, and
they were just the ticket!
They were easy to cut,
and since they were both rather large pieces,
I was able to wrap every gift on my list, with some left over!



I've already decided that I won't be going back to paper.
Even though paper can be recycled,
we don't know how long recycling will be around.
These wrappings can be used over and over again,
or the fabric donated to someone who sews,
so that something functional can be created. 
The tag you see here came from one of the Christmas cards sent to us
over the past few years.
And although it can't be reused, it can be recycled, or put into a compost pile.
The peppermint-patterned twine can be reused by the recipient for so many things!
I may have to start looking for thrifted holiday fabric for next year.

One of my focuses in the new year is to do better
with sustainability.
This is a great jumping off point and
it inspires me to streamline in so many areas of my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!