Thursday, August 30, 2018

Homemade Shampoo



 After discussing with my amazing physician my dermatitis issues,
she suggested that all SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) products
be removed from my hygiene routine.
SLSs are foaming agents that can be found
in everything from shampoo to toothpaste to floor cleaners.
Although it hasn't yet been proven that they cause major illness,
folks respond to ingredients differently,
and it's easy enough to "test" your own reaction.
You can read more about SLS-free products here.

In my doc's personal experience, 
eliminating SLS products improved her own bout with the condition.
That meant switching out soaps, lotions,
shampoos and conditioners, even toothpaste.
After looking into some of the options,
many alternatives were more expensive than what I had been using.
The good stuff always costs more.

The no-brainer was switching to Dr. Bronner's for all of our soap needs,
including dishwashing soap.
I had a couple of bottles under the bathroom sink
that I had bought on clearance some time ago,
and put them into service right away.
Searching for some relief
from the discomfort and complications the condition precipitates,
I thought I'd give diy shampoo a go.
It's very satisfying to be able to
create your own personal care products, 
and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.


This was one of a handful of recipes I found here.
It took mere minutes to whip up
with things I already had on hand.
The lather was incredible,
which I wasn't at all expecting.
It is much thinner than conventional shampoo,
but I'm thinking with a bit of tweaking,
I may be able to remedy that.
The bonus is that I can add any one of a number
of my favorite essential oils to the mix,
to customize the shampoo to my liking.
I'm including in this post a leave-in detangler,
for those who have thick or unruly hair (hand raised).
It sure feels good knowing that I will never have to purchase shampoo or conditioner again.
Taking the time to put together a few, simple ingredients
is another way I can nurture my health.
No chemicals, cruelty-free and no extra packaging to discard,
all align with my deepest intentions.
It's a complete win, in my estimation.

Homemade Shampoo

1/4 C distilled water
1/4 C Dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap (I used unscented)
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil (you can use other oils)
5-10 drops essential oil (pick your favorite)

Add ingredients to a bottle or jar and shake well.
Use a handful at a time to wet hair,
(depending on how much hair you have),
and massage into scalp.
Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Homemade Detangler Rinse

1/8 C apple cider vinegar
1/4 C water
Few drops essential oil

Add ingredients to a spray bottle and shake.
Spray on hair before combing out.
This can be done in the shower,
if you want to rinse it out,
but it is not necessary. 

Feel free to double or triple the recipe.
I now only wash my hair a few times a week,
so I can easily make up a batch to last a few washings.
Even if this change doesn't do a thing for my dermatitis,
it fosters my sense of self-reliance.

Are you interested in making more of your own personal products?


This Is How We Roll Link Party



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!