Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Why I Stopped Keeping a Daily Gratitude Journal


Happy Birthday America!

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." ~Erma Bombeck


 Journals have been a part of my life for over 30 years.
Writing is just a natural activity for me,
and a daily gratitude journal suited me fine for the longest time.
I also kept monthly journals for years,
enjoying the process of documenting the events of my life
and seeing the changes through the years.


 The idea behind the gratitude journal was to start the day
with three things for which I was grateful.
It could be anything from having a family,
to the eggs I got fresh from the farmer,
to having clean water to drink.

Recently, I discontinued my daily writing.
It just didn't seem to be 
enough.
The notation would be made before my day started,
and then I tended to forget about what had been reflected on
when the business of the day took over.
I knew that I wanted to become a more mindful person,
keeping gratitude a constant companion
from awakening to bedtime.
It's been a conscientious undertaking.



 The reminders accompany me throughout the day,
any time I feel the sun's warmth
or feel a cool breeze on my face as I take my daily walk.
Even difficult situations are becoming a source for thankfulness,
as I realize that God's plan is always in my best interest.
No matter what happens, we'll be alright.
That's mighty comforting, in good times and bad.
So, for me, gratitude comes in waves
all day long.
It has allowed me to feel more centered, 
more connected,
and far more content than ever before.

Change can be a very powerful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!