Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 39




Maple Hill Hop

Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop,
where we share our outdoor posts, 
no matter the season.
Grab the button and join on in!



Last week we shared our adventure with these visitors
to our deed-restricted suburban neighborhood,
where the HOA tries to run your life
livestock is not permitted.





Neighbors had noticed them criss-crossing the street,
going from yard to yard scratching for juicy morsels
in the way of bugs, worms and other underground treats.




I knew it was just a matter of time before someone called the paddy wagon
to come and pick them up.
We enjoyed watching them forage in our yard,
knowing that since we don't use chemicals,
they'd have a safe place to find some scrumptious fare.




The experience also helped me visualize 
what our life will be like
when we have chickens of our own.
I think this is God's way of telling me
to hang in there, it won't be long now.
It's been difficult having our house on the market,
then off, and now deciding to put it back on
so that we can move forward with our plans to relocate further north
and find a place where chicks are part of the neighborhood landscape.




This whole adventure was so timely.
Just the week before, 
I had listed some plants I had to give away
on Craig's List.
I had over 20 responses to the ad.
What are the chances that the woman I chose to call back first
has chickens, among other critters on her farm?
So, when I couldn't get the chickens corralled,
who do you think I called?




It took two days,
but after following Ms. Rita's suggestions,
I lured the chicks into the patio with bread.
There they stayed safe-n-sound until she came to get them.




Even Lil' Guy, who is usually quite leery about new experiences,
enjoyed watching their antics.
I have to say, never having been close to chickens,
I was quite proud that I managed to wrangle two of the three myself.




Ms. Rita said that they were a bit on the thin side,
so she will remedy that ASAP.
I'm so glad that they ended up here,
and knowing they will have a loving home made it easier to say goodbye.




Ms. Rita even invited us to come and visit them,
as her farm is in the next town.
Thankfully, there are folks like Ms. Rita 
who have enough love in their hearts to care for critters
who are injured or have been abandoned.
What a generous soul she is.
Blessings, chickies!

What's going on outside where you are?
HOP ON!










10 comments:

  1. Ms Rita isn't the only one with a kind and generous heart....you chicken wrangler you!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy, I agree with Sue. It was a great gesture for you to save the chickens from their escape from where ever they came from. It was great adventure that can be continued by visitation at times.

    Moving can be an exciting but frustrating time, can't it. I never liked moving. Maybe it's why I have not moved many times. It's allot of work with high stress and emotions. My hope for you is that it will go quick and without incident. I'm looking forward to your posts about the development of the new place when ever it happens.

    Have a great chicken saving day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been surprised at my joy over raising chickens. We only raise them during spring/summer/fall, selling them as young layers so we don't have to overwinter them (predator pressure would be too hard for them during winter) Although our primary livestock is obviously cattle, the chickens have been very pleasurable for us & we plan to raise them every year. Thank you for sharing your story. (dang H.O.A.!)

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that your chickens give you so much joy!

      Delete
  4. Hooray for Miss Rita!! I think you're right my friend - just hang on. It seems that things you really really want don't come until you're almost at breaking point and on the verge of giving up then bam! I guess it shows us even more lessons in gratitude, doesn't it? You will LOVE raising chickens. Everyday I can't wait to come home and chit chat with them about their day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we just meet the greatest folks when we need to? Love how God works that way. Thanks, friend, I will hang in there!

      Delete
  5. I do hope that you can move to a place where you could have chickens. We love ours. How frustrating that the HOA says no. Boo hiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is part of the plan. No more HOA neighborhoods for us! Thanks for your support!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!