Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 38


Maple Hill Hop

Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop,
where we share what's going on outside our doors.
Grab the button and awaaaay we go!



 The leek were harvested this past weekend from the veggie garden.
Overall, I was satisfied with this variety called Prizetaker.



 We're letting the sweet potato vine fill in the area under the thryallis.
These shrubs were trimmed to accommodate a sprinkler head,
and the look appeals to me.
Soon we'll be harvesting yummy taters!




They can also be found in other parts of the back bed.







I'm beyond thrilled to be harvesting lettuce in summertime.
This is the New Red Fire variety which is heat-resistant.
What a blessing to have fresh-picked greens for my daily noontime salad.


 About the only other food crop we grow in summer
is peanuts.  I think it likes this semi-shaded spot in the garden.


 This crop lets you know it's time to harvest
when the flowers fade and the leaves get floppy and brown.
Homemade peanut butter will be our reward.



 We have quite a few ginormous pumpkin blooms on the trellis,
but so far, no female buds.
This weekend they were fertilized, so we'll just have to wait and see.



 The gloriosa daisies are bursting with blooms.



The more I cut the flowers for bringing indoors,
the more blooms I get.


 Seed will be saved so that we can grow them in our next garden.






The zinnias brighten every little corner.
This is another flower that I plan to get seed from for future use.
I'd love to plant it en masse.
So gorgeous.


We've seen plenty of these lil' guys lately.
So sweet.


 A few volunteer crape myrtles need to be transplanted.



 My homage to woodlands.
There are lizards galore in this shady area.
The birds enjoy the birdbath and nearby feeder.


 Why'd the chicken cross the road?



I have no idea, but they came to visit last night.
I guess they don't realize this is suburbia!
I asked Big K if we could keep 'em in the spare room,
but he wouldn't go for it.


The heat has a hold of us now.
We are so grateful for air conditioning.

What's going on where you are?

Let's HOP!



6 comments:

  1. Daisy, even in the hot summer things still bring beauty to your garden. Finally, we are starting to get some heat here. We've only had just a handful of days over 90 degrees so far this year. Most folks that live here in Nebraska dread the humidity filled dog days of summer but I am one that likes all the seasons. The heat of summer just makes the fall weather all that more enjoyable. Hopefully, I can get some good garden work days in during July. The summer is slipping away and my schedule seems to fill up with other peoples projects. Yeah, I know I just can't say no to a struggling single gal especially if they have kids. Simple plumbing tasks or front step repair or other handyman repair things are beyond their reach financially so I do what I can to help them out.

    Have a great summer garden beauty day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine that you're just now feeling the heat of summer! Amazing what various gardeners experience at the same time of year!
      Good deeds will pay you back. ;0D

      Delete
  2. Daily- I am so glad to have found your site. You have such a lovely garden. And how fun it is to see the hot weather things that you can grow - Peanuts - how cool is that! I can't wait to see the harvest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! Thank you for your kind words. We are hoping for a good harvest of peanuts this year. Hope to see you again. ;0)

      Delete
  3. ha ha - what wonderful visitors! I love sweet potato vine. That bright green is just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they found a good home. The chartreuse makes a nice contrast against the darker green.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!