Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Maple Hill Hop 20


Maple Hill Hop


This weekend, I read this quote on Chiot's Run,
and knew I just had to share it!  
Brilliant!

"An optimist is the human personification of spring.”
~ Susan J. Bissonette


We were able to harvest carrots this weekend for supper.
They hit the spot, in more ways than one.
How rewarding to eat what you grow.
I could get used to this!



More peas are coming up on the bamboo tepee.
The power of a lone seed...


One of my projects on Saturday was to start a new growing area for snap peas.
This is the south facing wall of our house.
It's getting filled up with goodies.





I decided to frame the garlic patch with a homemade fence
on which the peas can climb.



As usual, I used what I had on hand.
These sturdy stakes came from a tall shrub that had been cut down last fall.
The orange baling twine is recycled from the pine straw mulch we buy.



The twine was woven in and out of the stakes.



We'll be able to see the peas' progress right outside our bedroom window.



Two types of lettuce were also reseeded.



My gardening coach, Lynn, gave me a few scallion sets to try.


As you can see, this lil' guy is ready to grow!



By sowing in this clear container,
we can watch the development as it progresses.



The eggplant was staked and tied.



More baling twine to the rescue!
It's great to be able to repurpose in the garden.
We continue to sow right through the last days of winter.


What's going on outside where you are?
Let's HOP!