Friday, January 5, 2024

Homestead Happenings

 



Greetings!
I hope your year is off to a great start!
In the past week, we've had over four inches of rain
over 2 days, so the garden is quite content.
So is this gardener.
It gave me time to work on 
another hobby, jigsaw puzzles.
They are a marvelous way to pass the time
during severe weather,
and it's one of the few things that I enjoy
which requires sitting down.


A check on the brassica beds found them doing fine.
The broccoli and cauliflower seem cozy enough.
The added straw and row cover 
no doubt keep them well insulated.
We have had quite a few overnight freezing temps,
but the days have been sunny and mild, for the most part.


In fact, I see something yummy in my future!
So grateful to be able to grow broccoli here in the winter.


Some of the lettuce that I had transplanted a couple of weeks ago
seems to be holding its own.
The kale (seen at the bottom of this shot), has been 
so slow to grow, and I'm not sure I'll get any harvest at all.
Time will tell.


The weather was so sweet this week,
that I even transplanted the rest of the lettuce
I had started using the winter sowing method.
Row cover was added after planting and a good helping
of shredded leaves was settled on top.



Upon strolling around the property,
I couldn't help but notice that there are 
a handful of plants growing right through the winter
with absolutely no regard for the temperatures.
This pansy display in our washtub
keeps blooming with no supplemental care.
It's fantastic to have this pop of color!


Although the candy tuft is not in bloom,
it is still green and healthy looking.
This plant has been in our pollinator box
for two years, and I need to remember
to add a lot more.


Another brilliant burst of color
comes from this sedum,
planted in a terra cotta planter and residing on the front porch.
Sedums have really become one of my favorite plants,
as they require very little from me.


Another new-to-me plant this past year
is the lamb's ear,
which forms a border on our front porch bed.
The texture is like velvet, which in itself 
is a great reason to grow it,
but just look at the soft, sapphire foliage.


The yarrow doesn't miss a beat
and has even blessed us with blooms!
It is one of the flowers in my winter arrangements,
when there is very little else blooming.
What a treat!


You're looking at part of my New Year's meal.
I usually make a few appetizer-type things
to nosh on throughout the day.
This year's menu included salmon patties
and this vegan nacho dish.
We had some tortilla chips in the house,
and I simply added cooked lentils, vegan cheese
and some homemade tomato sauce.
SO.  GOOD.


These gluten-free rolls I made for the holidays
turned out well.
My boy and I are both gluten-free now,
and it was just a little extra special having homemade rolls.
They are fashioned after the French brioche.
Gotta get the family history in there when you can!
They were readily devoured.

How's your year going so far?

10 comments:

  1. What a neat puzzle! And it's so neat to see everything you've got growing. My broccoli isn't that far along!

    Did you know that the lambs ear leaves were once used as bandages? Apparently, they contain an anti-bacterial substance that makes them good for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's fascinating! There is so much to learn! Thanks, Leigh!

      Delete
  2. Love that winter has us both thinking of jigsaw puzzles! Would you point me in the direction of the recipe for the rolls? I sure do miss things like that, and they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember where I got the recipe. I tweaked it a bit. I may be making them soon, so I'll post the recipe. They do have yeast in them, in case that's an issue. Enjoy the rain today!

      Delete
  3. Look at all that green growth! it's amazing...here there is still a bit of green in the grass, but it was 18 last night and so chilly out. But that's okay...I need a break from all the outdoor work...the indoors is suffering! And so, that's on the to-do list - seeing how much I can get done before Spring! Hope all is well...yes, snacking all day on holidays is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, winter time is perfect for these indoor projects. Remember to take some down time as well!

      Delete
  4. Your rolls look great! I'm planning to do some baking myself tomorrow. So glad you got some good rain. There are supposed to be heavy rains here tonight, and we really need them. I love seeing all the green things in your yard. The yarrow has such pretty foliage! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you got your share of rainfall! Thank you for being here.

      Delete
  5. That's fantastic about the rain and absolutely amazing to see all that you are still growing! Your broccoli looks great! I've moved on to indoor projects, so far mostly painting. Although I'm grateful for the growing break I do miss going out and checking on plant progress. It's so exciting to see what will be harvested soon. Wishing you a wonderful weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's satisfying to get those indoor projects done too, isn't it? It forces us to slow down.
      Hope you have a restful weekend.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!