Friday, June 30, 2023

Garden Friday

 
watermelon lemonade
 
Welcome to Garden Friday,
where we share what's growing on in our
Zone 7b Piedmont garden.
Summer has arrived and it's the perfect weather 
for this tasty treat.
You can find the recipe here,
although I now sweeten with honey instead of sugar .

 
 
The garlic that had been cured over the last two weeks
has been braided or placed in a net bag
for all of our culinary needs.
Feels good to have a year's worth of it on hand.


The green beans are starting to strut their stuff.
This is a summer staple on the supper table,
and beans will grow throughout the summer,
as long as they are continuously harvested.
We also have drying beans growing,
so that they can be dried for use all through the year.
Rice and beans, soups, and bean burgers
are some of the different dishes in which they are used.
 
 
 It looks like the corn will indeed be knee high
by the Fourth of July,
so something is going right!
Time will tell if the squirrels beat us to it!
 

Next to the corn grow pinto beans,
which are making their way up
the bamboo poles.
Bamboo is one of the most versatile tools
in the garden, and its strength
makes it optimal for trellising and staking.
 

 
The elderberry is blooming,
which is a first for us.
This plant has been on the property for 
a couple of years, but we haven't gotten berries yet.
Maybe the surrounding trees being trimmed aided this along,
by providing more sunlight. 
 
 
We have tithonia blooming,
which is one of my summertime favorites.
This plant is a prolific bloomer and will 
bless you with flowers well past summer.
 
rudebekia blossom

 
The pollinator bed where the old garden was located,
is exploding with blooms, 
including these beautiful Shasta daisies.
We also have marigolds, nasturtiums, rudebekia, 
sunflowers, and zinnias planted there.
I'll take another photo in a few weeks
when everything is in bloom.

cactus zinnia

nasturtiums

 
I've never before seen the Japanese beetle damage
on zinnias, but they are eating them this year.
It seems they are getting less fussy about what they munch.
Fortunately for us, we have chooks that enjoying
the beetles as a daily treat!
 
 
Apparently, someone didn't care for my pest management
technique.  I used insect netting to cover the strawberry bed.
Except for 1 or 2 berries, this gardener has been robbed!
They managed to find a way in to the goodies.
 
 
This critter was on our cannas.
Not sure if it is friend or foe,
so I left it alone.
I tend to let Mother Nature battle these things out.
 
 
Can you ever get enough of sunflowers?
 
 


 Most of these are the Mammoth variety.
Our summer garden just wouldn't be the same
without them.
 
 

The dust bath/chill area was recently expanded
for the chooks and are they loving it!
It's rare to see them all together like this 
in one big free for all!
Welcome to July!
 
"Roll out those lazy, hazy
crazy days of summer."
~Sam Cooke

12 comments:

  1. I learn so much reading your blog! The flowers are gorgeous and I also have that white asp on a few of my plants...No clue what it is or will be. I left them alone to.
    Happy weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are finding something you can use here. Enjoy your weekend, Donna!

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are so pretty. I don't remember ever having japanese beetles on zinnias here either, but it varies what they choose to feed on each year. I wonder why that is. Elderberries are such wonderful plants to have around. .I'm sending good wishes that you'll be able to harvest your corn crop. Have a lovely weekend and a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes! Hope you have a fun holiday!

      Delete
  3. Oh everything is so pretty, blossoms, veggies, happy chicks...it looks like the perfect way to wrap up June! Kick off your shoes and put your feet up, you've been busy! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the onset of summer heat, I'm doing plenty of afternoon resting! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. So many beautiful flowers! Bummer about the strawberries but my fingers are crossed for you on the corn. I have 4 sunflowers that are hopefully going to make it. This is my third effort this year and only 4 made it, but at least 4 made it! I'm not totally confident yet as they are still just over a foot tall. Hopefully, too tall for the chipmunks and squirrels to have interest in. I have no idea which variety are growing as I've tried so many, and those critters have found their way through every single contraption I made to protect them. The sweet chickens look so happy! Wishing you a wonderful weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to come up with a strategy for the berries next year. As my farmer friend Lynn says, "Just throw more seed at it!" I've been throwing out a lot of sunflower seeds to the chooks when they do their evening runabout, and I'll bet some of those will be sprouting soon. The squirrels can't find them all, right? ;0D
      Happy Fourth, Staci!

      Delete
  5. Some critter was really determined to get your strawberries! That would make me pretty grumpy. Everything else looks happy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I'll figure something out for next season. Hope you are doing well, Leigh!

      Delete
  6. I really want to try the watermelon lemonade. It looks so good! And you have so many pretty flowers! Summer is not our best season here in Florida, but it seems like a delight where you are. I enjoyed living vicariously through this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lemonade is so refreshing, I think you'll be making it all summer long! Summers here are fairly intense, but they don't last as long as they do in FL. I'll take it! Stay cool, friend.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!