Friday, April 7, 2023

Garden Friday



 Welcome to Garden Friday,
where we share our Zone 7b Piedmont garden.
This clematis was found near our back porch steps
when we bought the place.
It never did anything until just recently
when I moved it closer to the back entry of the garden.
I think I've found the right spot!

 
This week, the rest of the blueberries
were planted in pots and relocated to offer them a bit more sunshine.
For the past two years, although I amended the soil,
we got very few berries and the soil's pH was not balanced.
I used Holly Tone and a good organic potting mix
to foster the chances of success.
Time will tell.


 
Next to the blueberries are the extra strawberry
plants I was gifted.
These are mostly for giving away,
once they have some size to them.
The wire mesh is to dissuade squirrels from 
digging up the soil to bury their treasures.


The Birdie's bed is filled with more strawberries,
some which were transplanted from a washtub,
and a few more that were added this year.
Soil was collected from all of the berry pots,
so that it can be tested by our local Cooperative Extension.

 
 
Most of the smaller beds are filling up with 
containers from the winter sowing project.
It will soon be time to get them planted,
as soon as I come up with a solution to keep the chooks 
from eating all the kale and lettuce they see.



Insect netting may be my best option,
as it will also protect the brassicas from cabbage moths.
Beans, broccoli, cabbage,
leeks, tat soi and some flowers are also growing
in the repurposed salad containers.
 
 
It was a busy week, but with spring moving forward,
I don't expect things to slow down anytime soon.
I've been enjoying my umbrella as I sit at my makeshift workbench
and pot up seedlings and commune with the chooks.
If you notice the two blue grow bags hanging on the bamboo uprights,
there are more strawberries in them.
This is the first time I've used grow bags,
but it's a nice option for so many uses.

 
The potatoes that were planted in February
are finally starting to pop up.
This is unusually slow,
but I'm using a new technique called
"The Ruth Stout Method", 
so I'm not really sure what to expect.

 
There is lettuce volunteering in some of the small beds.
I want to say it may have been sown in the fall,
but I honestly don't remember.
In any case, it is more than welcome!

 
I'm trying my hand again with the chook composting method.
I used welded wire to make a ring right in the chicken run,
and have been throwing all sorts of scraps into it.
Since I shortened the wire to about a foot and a half,
they have been climbing right in there,
scratching, pooping and moving the pile around.
We'll see what comes of it.


 
I put up some flexible fencing around the wooded area
near the garden.
We have a dog who is not too friendly who lives
across the street and this gives me a bit more confidence
that the chooks will be safer.
They are only allowed to roam in the woods
when I am working outside, so I can keep an eye on things.
They have been enjoying the cool shade
and ample dust baths!
 



 
 
 
Cooler weather lies ahead for us next week,
after a good dousing of rainfall over the weekend.
I embrace it all!
Here's hoping your weekend is just how you like it.

12 comments:

  1. That's an interesting way of composting...now if I only had chickens!lol
    Happy Easter...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar method in our hen house, an old tire I filled fir them to eat, break up, and break down. I love your wire ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of using an old tire! It would be great for dust baths, too!

      Delete
  3. I'll be interested in how the Ruth Stout method works for the potatoes. She seemed to have bountiful gardens. Volunteer lettuce is a lovely surprise. Your recently moved clematis looks happy, and is such a pretty color. I'm planning on enjoying these likely last cool days, and the rain, and hope your weekend is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these last few nippy days will be savored. I hope you have a productive or relaxing weekend, whichever suits!

      Delete
  4. You are such a diligent gardener! Everything looks so good. I've still waffling on the weather! lol, but did get my potatoes in.

    I'm sold on the chicken composting method. The hardest part is keeping it contained. But it certainly does make the best and fastest compost. And our chickens are happy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the chook compost.
      Hope you get some great gardening weather soon!

      Delete
  5. The clematis does indeed look happy! Everything looks wonderful. What a lovely surprise to receive volunteer lettuce. I had kale return and am thrilled with that. I usually pull all of the plants, assuming they won't live through our winter, but since I harvested well into winter, I left 3 of them to die back and they've returned!

    I hope your blueberries are happier in their pots and that you are successful in keeping the squirrels and chickens out of your veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the kale up there. It pays to leave things in the ground I guess. ;0D

      Thanks for visiting. It's always good to see you here.

      Delete
  6. How nice that your chickens get to roam under your watchful eye and enjoy the woods. They seem to have a wonderful life! I always enjoy hearing about your new techniques and experiments in the garden. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweet Leslie. I hope they are enjoying their days out there. It's a blessing to have room for them to spread out. There is always something new to try!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!