Friday, December 30, 2022

The Legend of Houdini

 

 


We lost our beloved Houdini this week. 
She is the lovely gal to the left here,
an Americana who was a curious soul.
She was the low chook on the totem pole,
and, unfortunately for me, my favorite,
as I always root for the underdog.
I hope she felt loved and cared for
and enjoyed her life here with us.
Bless her as she continues her journey.
I hope we meet again some day.
 
The Legend of Houdini
 
From the beginning, she stood out as a curious and crafty girl.
Never one to be caught, much less cuddled,
she was as quick as a flash with her poultry prowess.
In fact, she earned her name because 
the very first night she came to our homestead,
she shot out of the back of our vehicle
and hid in the woods.
She could not be corralled and so,
 spent the night on the edge of the treeline, alone.
Oh, she was a slippery one, that girl.
She lived life on her own terms,
mostly ignoring the bad behavior 
the other chooks displayed toward her.
Whenever Gandalf made his advances,
she made her way to the top of the coop,
once again escaping a most unpleasant circumstance.
It's surprising that one of the only pictures we have (above),
is her with her Americana sister, HENrietta.
She was laid to rest right where she started,
in the woods near the azalea bushes.
You will be sorely missed.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful tribute to your sweet Houdini. May the memories bring you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I'm sorry about Houdini. What a sweet sweet post.

    It's so tough to see how chickens treat those at the bottom of the pecking order, isn't it? That and how they treat an injured chicken. They are the two things I find most difficult about having them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Houdini, Daisy. Your tribute to her is lovely and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I'm behind on this post..they really are part of the family, and each has their own personality. I love that you said she was living life on her own terms, that sounds like a good lesson for all of us. I know it's hard...thanks for sharing this sweet tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!