Friday, September 9, 2022

Garden Friday

 
Greetings and welcome to Garden Friday,
where we share what's growing in our Zone 7b Piedmont garden.
I haven't been posting every Friday because,
well, sometimes there is absolutely nothing going on out there!
This was a recent harvest when our melons were still going strong.

 
There were two beautiful orange peppers
that got harvested and given to a neighbor.
Since my eczema is kicking up again,
I am off all nightshades, including peppers.

 
This wasn't grown by us, 
but I just had to share this carrot's whimsical shape.
It was promptly peeled and put into coleslaw.
 
 
Seed saving has been going on more
in the last few weeks.
Here are asparagus seeds that can be picked
after they turn a vibrant red.
I'm not sure what I'll do with them,
but more research needs to be done.


A patch of black-eyed susan vine was spied
out near the blueberries.
It was a wonderful surprise to find,
as I thought none of what was planted had germinated.
I'll be sure to save seeds so that I always have this beauty.
Maybe next year I can grow it on the chook yard fence.

 
Speaking of the chook run,
don't you love how this hyacinth bean vine
has covered the trellis,
giving the chooks plenty of shade?
It's gotta be at least ten degrees cooler under there.

 
Several cells of cool season crops were purchased
at a local nursery this past week
and installed in a few of the raised beds.
With my germination rates plummeting,
it was decided to just buy the dang starts.
I don't have to do it all!

 
 Broccoli, cabbage, kale and lettuce was planted
and anything that might be bothered by pests was covered.
I'm trying a new system of covers,
so we'll see how it goes.
 
 
We've had so many visitors to the garden this summer.
This is the first time I remember seeing a Zebra Swallowtail.
Although we don't have any paw paw trees,
someone in our neighborhood must.
It is the host plant for these amazing creatures.

 
The magic has begun!
We are inundated with these miraculous Monarchs!

 
If you plant it, they will come!
Milkweed, that is.
And we have plenty of it.

Can you spy all four of the cats on this plant?
 
We have two types of milkweed in our garden,
and they don't seem to be too particular about which to devour.
Soon, we will have chrysalises all over the place!
We are happy to give them a home.


One of my jobs this week
was digging up a ton of daylilies.
They will be listed on our local swapping site for free.
Good news is, I only dug up about 1/4 of the bed.
Hope we can find homes for these.
 
 
These two girls fight all the time,
but it seems they are having some kind of conference here.
Henrietta (on the left), chases Houdini any chance she gets,
but at least there are moments of peace between them.
 
A chicken keeper's work is never done.
 

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with eczema still. I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating. That hyacinth bean vine is incredible! I can't believe how full it is. And I agree - a chicken keepers' job is never done. They are a funny group!

    Happy you have starts available so you have that as an option. They are hard to find in our area after June.

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Staci. It's always good to see you here.

      Delete
  2. That chicken pecking order sure is a funny thing. The zebra swallowtail is beautiful! I have never seen one around our pawpaws, or here at all. How fantastic to have so many monarch cats. I should wander through our milkweed again. Yep, we buy some seedlings too. This has seemed an especially hard year to start any healthy seedlings. The carrot gave me a smile. Gotta love silly vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of several folks who have commented that they've had trouble with germination this season as well. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

      Delete
  3. I hope you'll share what you learn about the asparagus seeds. I'd really be interested in whether you can get more plants from them. My asparagus are heirloom types, but I've never thought to save the seed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your harvest looks terrific - yay! Mine is a little smaller than usual...not sure why, maybe I need honeybees again to pollinate. Oh well, next year. Love the black eyed Susan vine...I'll have to try that. And tell me about asparagus...do you plant those red seeds next spring? Enjoy the weekend, Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!