Friday, July 15, 2022

Garden Friday

 
 
 
Welcome to Garden Friday,
where we share what's growing in our Zone 7b garden.
Sunflowers are an all-time favorite.
Not only do they grace us with their beauty,
but they feed the birds and us as well!

 
The sweet potato bed is filling in.
A few more slips were planted 
to replace some that disappeared.
It's always so much fun to harvest potatoes of any kind.
You just never know what lies beneath the soil.

 
A couple of what I believe to be birdhouse gourd plants
showed up underneath our wooded area.
These seeds were sown last year,
but nothing ever germinated.
I guess the almost 7 inches of rain we got this week did the trick.

 
Basil has been harvested for tea,
which I did "suntea" style on the front porch.
I'm hoping to make a batch or two of pesto
that I can put in the freezer.
It's still early in the season for this crop,
so I should be able to accomplish that goal.

 
It's so exciting to see the corn growing!
Even if we don't get one ear,
it's been fun to watch this plant do what it does.
Maybe next year I will plant even more.
Nothing says summer like corn on the cob
smothered in copious amounts of butter.

 
Some of the Jacob's Cattle beans dried on the vine.
I'm pretty disappointed with my bean crop so far,
and it's something I need to get good at.
Beans are a large part of my diet.
It will be on my mind next spring when I give this another go.

 
 
Did you know that something eats okra besides humans?
I don't ever remember the okra getting decimated this way.
A closer look found these nasty buggers,

 
which quickly went into a bin and were fed to the chooks.
They love 'em some Japanese beetles!


Here's another critter found last night.
It seems to be eating holes in the cucumber plants,
but it's not affecting them, so I'll leave them be.
My approach to pest control these days
is to leave things in place as much as possible,
and let the beneficial insects take care of the balance.
 
pest patrol

 
That volunteer squash I found growing 
behind the straw bale has succumbed to a vine borer.
The plant never did develop any female flowers,
so we probably wouldn't have gotten any fruit.
I plan to sow some winter squash soon.


 The chooks have been getting a steady diet of not only beetles,
but also tomato hornworms that I've been bringing home from work.
Some of them are almost too big for one hen to handle!
It's hilarious to watch them fight over them,
trying to snatch it out of each other's beaks.
Life is better with chickens.

 
These lantana took a while to start growing,
but they are a lovely shade of pinks and yellows.
I'm hoping they will come back after the winter.

 
The cannas around the chook run have been blooming 
for a few weeks now.
They are interplanted with sunflowers
and I have a few more cannas to transplant 
from other areas of the yard.

 
The lavender and allyssum have been moved out of the sun.
The heat seemed to be too much for them,
and they weren't doing much.
I think they'll be happier on the front porch.

Ruby

 
It's amazing how rain will do so much for us.
Not only does the garden lap it up,
it cools off these humid summer days
so that the evening hours are quite enjoyable outdoors.
 
How are you spending these summer days?
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I bet those are some happy chickens! Your approach to pest control seems wise. Though we're still working on it here, I believe if things are in balance, nature knows what to do. Almost seven inches of rain! Wow! I wonder if that gets your county off the drought list. I'm spending my days in the garden and kitchen mostly, though had a day with my sister this week. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to spend time with family. Hope you are enjoying these cool mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your chickens--they are beautiful. And I definitely agree with your natural approach to pest management! Your sunflower is amazing, and I'd really like to try making basil tea--it sounds delicious! Hope you have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, give the basil tea a go. It's quite refreshing!

      Delete
  4. Wow - now that's some rain! Bummer about the Jacobs Cattle beans and the volunteer squash. Gardening is always a challenge. I bet the chickens love their pest treats! We've had exceptionally mild weather so far this summer, so we've spent our days (and evenings) outside as much as possible. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't you the lucky one who's had a mild summer?! We are in the 90's almost every day this week coming up. Ah well, we garden when we can...Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love sunflowers and I always wanted to try and grow cannas; next year! I've never tried basil tea...I'll have to do that, do you dry the leaves first or just pop them in water and then in the sun to brew? Do you also have a favorite pesto recipe to share? The humidity here has been awful...it makes outdoor work hard. My goal for the weekend is getting the garden weeds out and cleaning the chicken coop and run. Crossing my fingers for a little less humidity or at least a cool breeze! Take care, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome! I simply put the leaves in a jar, and place them out on the porch. I think the flavor might be stronger if you pour boiling water over the leaves and let them steep. There are a couple of pesto recipes on here under Scratch Recipes under the header.
    The humidity is what drains us. Get out there early!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!