Friday, March 25, 2022

Garden Friday

 
 
Welcome to the first Garden Friday of spring!
It's a thrill to watch everything wake up from its winter slumber.
These tulips are so vibrant!

 
The bulbs are especially enchanting to me,
because having lived in Florida for so long,
we did not experience their magical uprising.

 
The daffodils are still blooming each and every day,
and we have a variety of colors and shapes to enjoy.

 
I was able to add some asparagus to my salad yesterday,
and I have to say that it is very rewarding to harvest your food
from right outside your door.
What could be fresher?

 
A new technique was tried for sowing carrots this week.
I'm notoriously lax about thinning them out,
so I decided to plant them more "by the book".

 
The Cobra was used to make drills (or furrows).
This tool makes the job quick and easy.

 
 
A friend gave me one of these seed planters,
so I thought I'd give it a go.
I think I still got too many seeds in some of the spots,
but we'll see what comes up.

 
Some rosemary was harvested from our established plant out front.
The plan is to move it to a sunnier location,
and I wanted to be sure that I had a back up plan.


 
 A dozen or so sprigs were cut and placed into a pot,
for future transplanting or giving away.
This drought tolerant herb makes a lovely bush.
The scent always reminds me of my sweet momma.
 
 
Two elderberry plants were put in place this week.
These were my purchase from our local Extension plant sale.
I'm hoping to be able to make elderberry syrup with the fruit.
 
Each year, I add to our food forest.
Last year we loaded up on blueberries.

 
After a couple of days of fairly heavy rain,
I noticed how much this yarrow had grown.
It seemed to shoot up overnight!
Looking forward to adding more natives to this bed in the front of the house.

 
 The tulips and this candytuft are just gorgeous.
I think I want to add a lot more of the candytuft to the garden beds.
It's gone through the winter like a champ.
What a treat to see them each morning
as I head out on my daily walk.

What's blooming where you are?

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Your tulips are spectacular and your asparagus is amazing! I will definitely have to try that twig planting trick with my rosemary too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have rooting hormone, but it's a good idea to use it when planting this type of crop, if you have it. I'm just hoping they take!

      Enjoy your weekend, Leigh!

      Delete
  2. Your new spring header is lovely, as are the spring flowers. I haven't seen any tulips blooming here yet, but there are redbuds, grape hyacinth, and forsythia. Peaches too. Enjoy your asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, to enjoy fresh home-grown peaches! That's gotta be one of the best things on the planet.
      How do you do it without spraying? I'd love to grow apples and peaches, but don't know of an organic method that is successful.

      Hope you are enjoying this gorgeous weather we are having.

      Delete
  3. We haven't figured that out yet. Between the Japanese beetles and the squirrels, we rarely get any peaches. Most of the trees are netted now, but we need to prune the branches that have grown out of the netting, and it doesn't help the beetle issue at all. The years we've gotten any, they are usually wormy, so I definitely don't have the answers. We've tried neem oil and maybe a clay-based spray a while back, but haven't had much luck.

    My pre-sprouting is going well, and so far, I've got 21 tomatoes in soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating. I'm sure there are organic farmers who know the tricks, but I haven't found them yet. The search goes on...

      Congratulations! So exciting to see those babies coming up!

      Delete
  4. The flowers!!!! And asparagus! I was just looking at our asparagus bed yesterday (the snow is finally melted!) and anticipating the first stalks that will (hopefully) come in May. You'll love the elderberry - I find the bushes to be quite resilient. The only struggle is beating the birds to the ripe berries. Also, you may already know this, but in humid climates like ours and yours you'll want to process the berries the day you pick them or they go bad. I've thrown some in the freezer in years past the day I pick them and process them later when they were needed. Worked like a charm. 😊 Always fun to see what you've got growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about elderberry, so thank you for passing that on. I'll make room in the freezer for that!

      Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  5. So pretty! You're flowers are weeks ahead of ours. It was 18 degrees yesterday and today they say it will be 70...ha, I'll believe it when I see it. Looking forward to reading your older posts and catching up on them. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Mary! Yes, we've had some bone-chilling days this year as well, but it looks like Old Man Winter might be packing his bags!

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!