Friday, December 10, 2021

Garden Friday

 
 
 
Welcome to Garden Friday,
where we share what's growing in our Zone 7 Piedmont garden.
This fall has been an amazing display of color,
with plenty of interest just outside of our kitchen window.
This is the pathway I take each morning
when I let the chooks out of the coop.
We are so blessed to live here.

 
The strawberries have turned a brilliant shade of red,
as if to greet the Christmas season.
This fruit does well over the colder months,
just awaiting the spring thaw to work their magic.

 
The blueberries also turn a variety of colors,
as they enjoy their winter slumber.
I'm  hopeful that this coming spring we will be awash in berries!

 
Our raised beds are just starting to get a foothold 
on producing broccoli, lettuce, 

 
and leek.
I've been a bit disappointed in the germination rate,
and not having as many things growing as I'd like.
We'll enjoy what we can and think toward springtime planting.

 
The cover crops are filling out one of our beds nicely.
Each fall, a different raised bed is sown 
with a cover crop to add nutrients to the soil.
A thick coat of shredded leaves has been added here.

 
We have a couple of parsley plants growing,
one in a raised bed (see below),
and this one planted in a pot.
They both do just fine over the winter,
and it's a real treat to be able to harvest something
on a regular basis.
You've gotta love crops that need no coddling!

garlic and parsley
 
The garlic is doing well
and will be well worth the 9-month wait to harvest time.
Garlic is the best hands-off crop ever!
Just plant it and forget it!

 
I was so perplexed about the asparagus.
It's a new to me crop,
and I wasn't sure what I had done wrong
to make it turn this harsh amber hue.
A fellow gardener told me that this happens to hers every year.
She simply adds a bit of magnesium sulfate to it,
cuts it back and mulches over the top.
What a relief to know it wasn't me!
I will be putting this task on my list.


Our leaf mulch pile has grown leaps and bounds!
Our sweet neighbor allowed us to use her riding mower to mulch and bag up
the leaves on our property, so we did hers as well.
I still have bags and bags to go,
but no doubt we'll be set for leaf mulch until next fall. 
It really is the best mulch to use,
and best of all, it's free!

snack time in the chicken yard



Excuse my absence from the blog of late.
I am struggling with the motivation I need to write.
Although I do my best to focus on the blessings in my life,
so many folks I know are having a difficult time right now,
and I'm afraid I am more sensitive to that than most.
I can't promise that I will be here every week with a garden post,
but I will make an effort to at least post some photos from the week.
It's so beautiful here, especially this time of year.
Maybe it will even help me get out of my funk.

Blessings...daisy

5 comments:

  1. That asparagus coloring would have stumped me too. Very interesting. I was going to continue trying to grow some brassicas and greens this winter but never got around to putting up a proper shelter for them so maybe next winter.

    I'm sorry to hear you have people you care about who are struggling. Your sensitivity to others needs shows so much in your writing and is something I admire. Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.

      I hope you have a fruitful weekend!

      Delete
  2. Though life challenges are always present, these past two years have been rougher than most for so many. I hope those you care about find their way forward, and you find some lightness and cheer in your days. Your leaf mulch pile is quite impressive. We've not even begun collecting them yet this year. I'll be looking forward to whatever posts you share here in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are blessed with enough leaves to create quite a bit of mulch.

      Thank you for your kindness. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy the rain today!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, as always. We also gathered up our leaves, though our pile is not as impressive. We are all doing what we can to cope with life right now. Hang tough!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!