Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Cleaning Garlic



Growing garlic is one of the most fulfilling things I've ever accomplished.
It's a pretty hands-off kind of crop,
and it yields a harvest that lasts for months.
The original starts for this garlic 
were purchased at Sow True Seed
a source for open-pollinated and heirloom seeds
in nearby Asheville.



Each year when I harvest,
I put aside a few heads for the next crop.
Last year, I increased my planting area,
so I was blessed with over 30 heads of garlic.
Lesson learned from the previous growing season,
as I ran out of garlic well before the next crop was ready.
These are the best heads from this harvest,
and they will be placed in a brown paper sack to await planting in the fall.



After drying for 2 weeks,
the current crop was ready for processing.
You can see how much they change in appearance
from the first photo in this post.



 The only tools needed are a stiff brush and a pair of scissors.


The roots are cut fairly close to the bulb
and the embedded soil or mulch goes with them.
Whatever remains behind can be dislodged with the brush.


 The frayed ends are lopped off
and left long enough for braiding,




or cut them off close to the bulb
and keep in the pantry for daily use.


 There are various ways to braid,
but it's pretty much the way one would braid hair.
I tend to place the larger bulbs toward the bottom.
The discoloration on the papery cover doesn't bother me.
It reminds me that this was grown right here.


I'm thinking this bunch will last us the whole year,
with plenty to share.
What a feeling of satisfaction,
knowing there is one thing that we use every day
that we need never buy again.

10 comments:

  1. I've been wondering if I should grow garlic. Now I know that I definitely should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should!
      So good to see you again. I hope you will post something soon!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful garlic! I don't usually make braids with it, but you've inspired me to make one. Ours will be drying for a while yet. I'm not sure if it's any easier, but instead of a brush, I just pull off the outer dirty layer of skin. Being there are so many layers, it's never seemed to harm them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a little less work, wouldn't it? ;0D

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! We adore garlic in our household so it's one of our favorite crops as well. Not to mention enjoying the garlic scapes…. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plant the soft neck variety garlic, so we don't get the scapes.

      Delete
  4. Sarımsak çok severim. Her yemeğe koyarım. Annem ekiyor bize veriyor:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it fun to grow? I just harvested ours, I planted only 4, and realize that it isn't nearly enough. So in the fall, more will go into the wee garden. I left one to flower so I could see what happens. It will be my started in the fall. I even made a wee little braid with my 3 cloves, the stalks were healthy and lush. Enjoyed visiting with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fun and oh-so easy! We'll be planting again in the fall as well. Enjoy your harvest!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!