Friday, March 20, 2020

Garden Friday



This Garden Friday finds the world a different place.
With routines severely disrupted,
the one place that can lend some much needed grounding
is the garden.
It's the first day of Spring 
and that means that growing season is here!


I got my initial garden plan completed 
using the Gardener's Supply free planner.
I've been using it for a couple of years now
to plan each individual bed,
but this is the first time I was able
to print out the entire garden plot.
In the upper left corner (not marked here), I will be planting
the first asparagus I've ever grown!
The crowns were collected yesterday from Extension
and I'm hoping to get them in the ground this weekend.
I also picked up some strawberry starts and will be 
planting them in straw bales.
The bed marked #9 in the lower right corner
is a pollinator bed.



In bed number four,
our Yukon Gold potatoes were planted.
These had been saved from last year's harvest,
and I was happy to see the growth when I took them out of their storage box.
For the last two years, I've grown these in chicken wire towers,
but this year I thought I'd try a raised bed.
One of the 3X8 beds sown with winter cover crops was chosen.


spuds ready for planting

The cover crops were whacked down with a string trimmer,
and the potatoes were planted about every 8 inches underneath the soil.
The shoots are telling me that they were ready!

Unfortunately, someone else was equally excited about this planting,
because every last one had been dug up.
That'll teach me to plant without covering the bed
with chicken wire.
Dang it!


The good news is that I had purchased a few Yukon Gold potatoes
recently at the hardware store, just in case I needed a few more.
Premonition?
They are drying out and I hope to get them planted in the next few days.


More good news!
The blueberries are coming back!
It's so thrilling to see them wake up from their long, winter slumber.
We have three varieties that we planted last year,
although there wasn't much fruit to be had.
Hopefully, this year will be a bit more successful.


Along with my sunflower sprouts growing in the kitchen,
I'm happy to be sowing again.
With plans to install our drip irrigation system this weekend,
it'll be a busy time.
What a time saver it will be to have the crops 
automatically watered.
All I'll need to do is keep sowing and watch them grow!



The next few months may be challenging for many,
and I am so grateful for the healthy distraction of growing food.
Now more than ever,
there is no end to the potential of a seed.

"Every problem has in it the seeds of its own solution.
If you don't have any problems, you don't get any seeds."
~Norman Vincent Peale

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, sorry about your potato planting. What kind of critter dug them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think it was either squirrels or a newly-found chipmunk nesting nearby. Ugh!

      Delete
  2. Darn potato eating critters, but good thing you picked up a few seed potatoes. J harvested our first asparagus of the year yesterday. So looking forward to having them for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you're way ahead of me! Enjoy the asparagus! Nothin' like homegrown! ;0D

      Delete
  3. There's no better therapy than getting your hands in the dirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to read encouraging blogs like yours because it literally prompts me to do somethings I need to do as we more or less share the same climate condition. Looking at your sprouting potatoes, I went and checked my stored potatoes in the box and to my horrors - the sprouts are much more longer than yours - just am running out of time to get them planted - thanks for the reminder though;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tell us when they are ready to be planted. Isn't that amazing? Hope you get to enjoy some time out in the dirt! ;0D

      Delete
  5. Hi Daisy
    Glad to see you're still keeping busy in the garden.
    I am excited to get out and start digging..........but today , the snow is coming down and I'm baking bread instead.
    I want to try "planting by the signs" in nature (phenology) this year. My daffodils are up, and the second those blooms open, I will be planting peas, kale, spinach and radish. I thought it would be fun to experiment like this.

    Hope you have a wonderful garden this year. And cover those potatoes!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to see how your garden grows by the signs. So exciting to try new things.
      Baking bread is one of the best things I can think of to do when stuck inside. What could be better than homemade bread? The aroma is intoxicating! Enjoy!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!