Thursday, February 6, 2020

Canning Ring Wind Chimes




We're big on repurposing around here.
It's important to use or reuse as much as we can,
as efficiently as we can.
Take these canning rings.
Once they get a bit rusty or not food-worthy,
they get used as plant markers in the garden.
A dozen or so had been saved and put to the side,
hoping that inspiration hit me.
It did.


Holes were drilled into the sides of the lids 
as well as the rings so that they could be connected.
Any old drill bit will do, adjusting the size to your materials.
I knew I'd be using fishing line,
so the holes needed to be on the smaller side.


While pondering the best way to hang the lids,
Big K came up with the idea to fashion a wire ring
on which to hang all of the dangly parts.
I tell ya, the man really earns his keep around here!


Eh, voila!
The fishing line was simply tied onto the wire
and fed through the holes in the top of the recycled tomato can.


The rust on the lids doesn't bother me one bit,
after all, it's going to be a "rust"-ic addition to the garden.


I love wind chimes, I love canning jars
and repurposing is in my blood.
This craft marries two favorite things together
to make something whimsical and fun.
I believe more may be in my future.
The sound is so soothing,
it makes me wish for a gust of wind!





8 comments:

  1. I love the wind chimes. I love finding new uses for things. I hope you don't mind I'm borrowing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sweet! I, to, love windchimes and this is the PERFECT recycling/repurposing idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can a garden ever really have too many windchimes? ;0D

      Delete
  3. What a fun project! I've been saving rings, thinking I'd make pumpkins with them, but so far, it hasn't happened. Some years back, I plasma cut lids, and made them into Christmas decorations. I love your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever. It always feels good to reuse materials into something useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does. Less in the landfill makes me a happy camper! ;0D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!