Friday, October 4, 2019

Garden Friday




 Welcome to Garden Friday!
By the time this posts,
summer will officially be on Her way out!
This thermometer measures the temperature (top number)
on the north side of our house,
which is mostly shade.
I think we actually hit 100 degrees yesterday.
The weekend is supposed to gift us with 
daytime highs in the 70's.
We are SO ready for fall!


Without much ambition due to the heat,
not much has been done in the garden of late.
The okra and eggplant were torn out
to make room for our new raised beds.


 This area will be reworked and amended
so that we can place three new raised beds in the space.

 

 The supplies were purchased this week
to create two of the three beds,
using the concrete corners seen here.
We'll document the process,
so that we can show how simple it really is.


 Beans are still coming in and I'm hoping that this weekend
I can get our sugar snap peas planted.
We are using the direct sow method,
as snap peas do best this way.
They will be placed to the right of the bean vines,
all along the arches.


 The loofah is turning all kinds of colors,
from lime green, to mustard, to a rich, coppery hue.


 With the cooler weather looming,
I'm hoping to have abundant time on the front porch,
shaking out seeds to reserve for next year's planting,
and a mess to share with friends.


The trellis created for the sweet potatoes 
didn't quite contain them.
The foliage is so bountiful that it is falling over.

sweet potato blooms

 The cooler temperatures this weekend
should help this crop along its way.
I'm ready to harvest, even if the plant isn't.
I will need the bed to plant beets.


 One crop that isn't dependent on the weather is sprouts.
These Red Ripper beans are ready in a matter of days,
greening up on the kitchen windowsill.


I collected these Hyacinth Bean pods
from one of my jobs.
It's a gorgeous climbing vine
with delicate purple blooms.
I can see this ascending trees and trellises 
in our garden next season.


These sweet pansies haven't stopped blooming
since being added to the veggie garden months ago.
The heat and lack of rain haven't bothered them one bit.


Aren't sunflowers just stunning?
In all stages.
I find them fascinating and absolutely breath-taking.
Just look at this one seed head that droops after having its glory in the summer sun.
Each seed is the promise of sunflowers next year in our garden.
These will be harvested and saved for planting early next summer.
A gal has to have some motivation to face another scorching garden season!

Will you be planting a fall garden?


4 comments:

  1. I'm certainly hoping you get some relief soon and fall weather is abound. We finally received it 2 days ago and it is SPLENDID! I agree about sunflowers. :) I love this time of year - it allows us to begin looking back on the year to assess what worked/what didn't and set new goals for the upcoming year. We'll be picking the rest of our Asian Pears & peppers today because our first frost may come early....tonight! I have a few new zucchini that I'll try to protect, pick the remaining winter squash, and I think the broccoli will be ok with a cover too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful are the pears? I'd love to have some fruit trees, but they are difficult to grow here without spraying. I hope you enjoy your bounty!

      The relief came yesterday with the onset of rain and cooler days. Yippee!

      Delete
  2. The concrete corners are interesting. I've not seen them before, and look forward to seeing your new beds. Our fall lettuce is actually bolting from these temps. Thankfully, after this last day in the 90's, it should get closer to normal fall temps. That's a gorgeous sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the rain and cooler temps have visited you already. What a difference 10 degrees makes.

      I plan to post about the new beds next Garden Friday. Stay tuned!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!