Friday, May 24, 2019

Garden Friday




Vampires beware!
It's Garden Friday and time is up for the garlic.


Last weekend I was able to harvest the garlic and shallots 
from one of the 4 X 4 raised beds.
The outer leaves had turned brown,
which indicates that its 9-month incubation period was over.


I have to say,
this is the nicest garlic crop I've ever grown.
The heads were huge and firm with roots galore!


I got the starts from Sow True Seed in Asheville,
and I'm very pleased with the results.
Garlic is so easy to grow.
(Here's our post on planting.)
You place the cloves in the hole,
water once in a while (usually rainfall is enough),
and fertilize once or twice during the growing time.
The hardest part is waiting the 9 months to harvest. 
The best of the heads will be saved
for planting this coming fall.




Shallots are pretty much the same,
with a hands-off approach.
The shallots come as bulbs and grow into 
long-stalked beauties and lend a mild onion flavor
to most anything they share a pan with.


I'm fairly impressed with these as well.
In the fall, when they are planted again,
 ample space will be created for them
so that I can get more at harvest time.
I never seem to grow enough!
It worked out well growing them in the two 4 X 4 raised beds.
Now that these have been picked,
I can use the bed for sweet potatoes,
which will be ready  to harvest in time to put in more garlic and shallots.



One of the shallot plants didn't fare so well.
It was one of the plants that I decided to cut off the flower.
I'm not sure if water got into the plant that way or what,
but the shallot was mushy and waterlogged.
Into the compost pile it went.
I think I will leave the flowers intact next go 'round.


These crops need curing,
so they are lying in the garage
where the skin will become papery.
It takes from two to four weeks.
At that time, the stalks can be cut off
and the bounty stored in the house.
No need to buy garlic for a while.
That gives this gardener a feeling of overwhelming satisfaction.


6 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful crop of garlic and shallots! Will have to remember Sow True sells garlic. Our favorite supplier has retired this year. Would you share what you fertilize the garlic with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey Poop! The secret's in the sauce! ;0D

      Delete
  2. Daisy, I've never tried growing garlic. I'm more of an onion man. I don't have anything against garlic but it's just a little different to grow it. Those row crop farming genes just can't comprehend planting in the fall instead of the Spring. I'm really trying to overcome the habits of the past and step into new things. Maybe I'll give the garlic a try this fall. Your harvest looks fantastic. How do you store garlic?

    Have a great holiday weekend.

    Nebraska Dave
    Urban Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I get that Dave. It was a big change coming up here and learning to grow at a different time of year. It's so great having something growing in the garden all winter long.

    We store it in the house, as we don't have a basement. If we get our pantry done sometime this summer, it'll go in there. Any cool, dry place will work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice harvest!! I adore garlic. We have 3 very large garlic festivals in our area that I've not yet been to but hope to visit at least one of them. I would love to see & try different varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really enjoy growing it, it is so easy and I know you cook a lot. Give it a go!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!