Thursday, November 1, 2018

Pickled Carrots


I've recently been experimenting with fermenting foods.
Eating fermented foods improves our health
by increasing the good gut bacteria that help us stay healthy.

This is one of the easiest ferments to do,
and you don't really need any fancy equipment,
although the pickle pipe really makes it much easier.
Since this was the first time I've attempted fermenting veggies,
I halved the recipe, 
in case I didn't like it.
The resulting flavor was so fantastic,
I believe I'll be adding this to my weekly regimen.
It also encourages me to try other veg using the same method.


Pickled Carrots
(Cultures for Health)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
handful dill, oregano or parsley
1/2 t red pepper flakes
2 pounds carrots, sliced thin
2-3 C water
2 t salt

Place garlic, herbs and pepper flakes in quart jar
and add carrots.
Mix water and salt and pour over carrots, leaving 1" head space.
Use a weight to keep carrots under liquid,
or just tamp down the carrots
so that they are fully submerged.
If you don't have a pickle pipe,
be sure to "burp" the jar twice daily.
(This means removing the lid to let the gases escape,
then replacing the lid for the remaining time.)
Leave on countertop for at least 4 days.
If it is flavored to your liking,
refrigerate.
If you want a bit more zing,
leave on the counter for another few days
before refrigerating.
Enjoy!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!