Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Maple Hill Hop 63


Maple Hill Hop


Welcome to 
The Maple Hill Hop.
This is a hop for folks who love the outdoors.
Feel free to post about anything that's going on
OUTSIDE
in your neck of the woods,
no matter the season.
(Please share only outdoor posts.)
Thanks for linking back to Maple Hill 101.


Let's talk broccoli.
This powerhouse of nutrition is so easy to grow
that every garden should have some.



It's amazing to think that a seed this size
can grow into one of the most health supportive foods on the planet.
The Farmer's Almanac has an informative page about growing this crop throughout the US.



 This member of the cruciferous family is easily grown in containers or right in the ground.





Broccoli is high in Vitamins A, C, and K,
as well as packing a serious fiber punch.



Even the lovely yellow flowers are edible,
so if your crop is starting to bolt,
you can still enjoy every bite.




Once the main head on the plant is harvested,
(here it's cut at an angle to avoid rain rotting the core),
the plant just keeps on giving.




Small, sweet, scrumptious tips grow out from the branches.
These can be harvested and savored in salads, soups or with your favorite dip.



I still haven't decided which I prefer,
the whole head or the tips.
But I can often be seen munching on these
on my way home from my work at the farm.
They are like a burst of energy with each bite.
Eaten raw or cooked, you can be sure they are a wonderful addition to any diet.
Try this recipe for Rice Crust Quiche
featuring this yummy veggie.





Here in Central Florida,
it's the perfect time to grow broccoli.
It is eaten with relish a couple of times a week.
Being able to eat seasonally is such a gift.





What's going on outside where you are?
Let's HOP!


4 comments:

  1. Oh, do I miss broccoli. That was one of those foods I tested allergic to. Isn't that about the most ridiculous thing you ever heard?????
    How can someone be allergic to something so good!!!
    Well, more for you, I suppose. Enjoy!! And think of us poor fools that CAN'T have it. Sigh..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I've just started enjoying broccoli over the past year after not eating it for decades! It was one of those foods that for some reason, I thought I couldn't tolerate (along with dairy). So, I definitely feel your pain! Maybe after a few months, you could reintroduce it and see how it goes. It's just not fair that you can't have something so delicious! ;0)

      Delete
  2. Daisy, I might just try some broccoli again this year. I tried some a few years ago but it just didn't really produce at all. The plant grew to be huge but only tiny little florets and very few of them. I had just rejuvenated the bed and I think there was a bit too much of nitrogen which produces a big health plant but not many broccoli florets. I did that with radishes one year as well. The plants grew to shoulder high but the radish was only the size of my little finger nail. So the lesson learned was more nitrogen is not necessarily better.

    Have a great broccoli growing/eating day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do give it a go again. With the cooler temps, there's less worry about bugs eating it first!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!