Friday, December 7, 2012

Mac with a Twist

Our grocery store had lobster tails on sale,
Buy One, Get One Free.
We haven't had lobster in years,
but this was a great opportunity to try a new recipe.
I'd seen Ina Garten make some yummy 
 Mac-n-Cheese before on her show.
Since it's one of our favorite comfort foods,
I wanted to try it with a twist.
You can find the original recipe here.





We made the roux with unsalted butter and flour,
just like the original recipe.
We use rice milk instead of cow's milk
to create the cheese sauce.





I didn't have any Gruyere,
so I used our standard Cabot sharp cheddar instead.
I didn't add the breadcrumbs as in the original recipe,
as Big K doesn't care for it that way.
We usually substitute a lot of ingredients in our recipes
due to dietary restrictions and personal preference.

 




I never cooked lobster tails before, but it was easy.
I just steamed them for 15 minutes.
They turned bright red!






Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
(Ina Garten)

Kosher salt
Olive oil
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 quart rice milk
6 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds cooked lobster meat


Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water.
Add the pasta. 

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan.
In a large pot, melt butter and add the flour.
Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
Still whisking, add the milk
and cook for a minute or two more,
until thickened and smooth.
Off the heat, add the Cheddar,
1 tablespoon salt, and pepper.
Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well.
Enjoy!

Shared here and here:



Simple Saturdays Blog Hop

Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop




6 comments:

  1. Oh Daisy! My mouth is watering! Two of my favorite things TOGETHER--yum. I'm comin' to your house for dinner! Hee hee--
    Thanks for another awesome recipe, my friend. Hope you have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be welcome anytime, Kat! Hope you enoy this recipe!

      Delete
  2. I think I actually saw the show where Ina made this recipe. Very interesting and looks delicious! I've never made lobster tails before but it doesn't seem too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh! and what a twist!!! never heard of this one before..my mac and cheese twists are things like left over ham....yours sounds way better!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!