Sunday, August 22, 2010

"I Miss Mayberry..."





















Another place we visited on our trip was Mt. Airy, North Carolina. 

We've been wanting to see this place as we are big fans of The Andy Griffith Show. 
We saw Andy's childhood home, squad cars like the ones used in the show and Wally's filling station. 




















The Blue Bird Diner is still there, although I'm sure Juanita has long since retired. 
The folks who live and work there seem happy to see visitors. Thelma Lou was even signing autographs at the Andy Griffith museum the day we were there! 




















One of the reasons why that show appeals to me so much is that times seemed to be simpler. The milkman delivered your order and put your glass bottles of milk on the back porch, kids walked to school and played outside most of the day and neighbors knew each other like family. 

I love the Rascal Flatts song:
"I miss Mayberry, sittin' on the porch drinkin' ice cold cherry Coke,
Where everything was black and white.
Pickin' on a six-string
Where people pass by and you call 'em by their first name.
Watchin' the clouds roll by,
Bye-bye."


2 comments:

  1. Oh! I've always wanted to visit Mt. Airy. I'm glad you had a good time there. Fortunately, where I live (western New York state) there are many small "Mayberry towns" and I live in one, even, out in the country. Oh, and we even have our milk delivered in glass bottles! I've seen online that there are some dairies in various states which still deliver milk that way--you might want to check for delivery in your area. Hey, you never know. :) Anyway, thanks for sharing the pictures--you have a lovely blog. (I found you by way of Cold Antler Farm--isn't Jenna great?) :) Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your town sounds wonderful! Thanks for the ideas about milk deliveries. We don't do cow's milk anymore! The memories linger though. Thanks also for the kind words. Jenna is quite the inspiration! daisy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!