Friday, July 26, 2024

Homestead Happenings

 

Welcome back to Homestead Happenings,
where we share what's going on 
around our Piedmont property.
We have been blessed with fairly steady rainfall,
and the garden and I are mighty greatful.


The cattle panel arch is being taken over
by the Cushaw squash vine.
This is a first time plant for me,
and I have to say that
I appreciate its exuberance!


Although I have only found 3 squash on the vine,
they are quite large.
The one I harvested this week weighed in at eight pounds.
Soup is on the menu this weekend,
and I should have enough to make some other goodies as well.
A good friend told me that they store up to 9 months in her cellar.



The Seminole pumpkin had a growth spurt this week.
The two squash varieties I'm sharing with you are showing promise,
as I have had no pest issues with either one.
What a blessing, as I don't use even organic methods of pest control.


The green beans had been replanted
when my climbing beans failed to germinate.
There are also drying beans on this teepee.
The gift of rain has made all the difference.


A volunteer squash was found growing in the chook run.


Here's another that was harvested and cooked.
It tasted like a baked potato, for some reason.


My friend Jannah gave me some of her
amazing yellow zucchini.
I sauteed some of it and made fritters with the rest.
Such simple food that tastes so good.

sea oats



The seed pods on the native milkweed are huge!
I will be saving some of these for future planting,
although they seem to readily volunteer.


This is the host plant for the
tussock moth caterpillar.
You can read more about it here.

canna lilies

Almost ready to start laying!

A bit of shuffling has been done with regard to the chooks.
My efforts to integrate the two flocks
didn't work out too well,
so I separated them.
The bonus is that since the new girls (seen here),
are so congenial, Betty has a friendly place to hang out.
After Queenie's unexpected passing,
she has seemed a bit blue.
She and the new girls seem to get along fine,
even sharing the coop and run without issue.
The bullies have been moved to the "eldercare" coop and run.



I hope your summer is going just the way you like it.
Be Blissed!



12 comments:

  1. You've got to love volunteer veggies! Hasn't the rain been wonderful? Your plants look like they're in their happy place.

    It's great you figured out a way to have peace in your chicken yard. Chicken keeping is so much more pleasant when that's the case. We've got some young sea oats. Do you do anything special with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now that the chooks are settled in, it makes life much easier.
      I was growing the sea oats just because I love the texture. Now I'll have to look into options!
      Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you've been getting rain. We've been getting some too, thank goodness. I love all your interesting squashes, and the zucchini fritters look delicious! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain is such a gift, especially after the drought we had in June.
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Ah chickens. It's good you've figured out how to manage them!

    Your squashes look great. I find cushaws to be reliable producers that are little bothered by insects and disease. Rain always helps! Sea oats is a new one for me. Pretty plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace in the chook run is a good thing.
      Always good to see you here, Leigh. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for Betty! So happy she has some accepting coop mates. It's always interesting trying to figure out the chicken dynamics, isn't it? Sounds like you've found a good solution. I'm so happy that you've received rain. It really does make a world of difference. Your cushaw squash plants look amazing! Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm happy that Betty has someone to spend time with again.
      The rain is indeed a blessing.
      Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

      Delete
  5. Everything always looks so good, you must put such time and effort and love into the garden! I’d like to try cattle panels for maybe cucumbers or zucchini – are you finding they’re strong enough to bear up the weight of without leaning? And is there a secret to keeping a teepee from toppling over? Maybe it’s because we have so many open fields around us, any wind coming through seems to blow things over. And lastly, can you share the fritter recipe - that really looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything right now is kind of coasting, as we've been getting ample rain. I have planted melons and squashes along those cattle panel arches, and even if they lean a bit, they stay standing. They are fairly strong
    Our garden is nestled among trees on two sides and the house on another, so wind has not been an issue for us. Maybe you could stake the teepee with tent-like stakes?
    No recipe per se for the fritters. I just used the squash, some salt, garlic powder, an egg and some almond flour (I'm gluten sensitive) and pan fried it in olive oil. Any veg can be done this way. So quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending the rain...I woke up to it; so nice! Alas, I will be pulling on boots and heading out to stake tomatoes - ha ha, that is today's "average day" morning fun! Good to know about the cattle panel...I will try that next year...one more question: the squash aren't so heavy they fall before ripening, no need to support them? I will be making the fritters...thanks so much! Enjoy the day, Mary

      Delete
    2. So far, so good. I haven't used any type of support on the squash.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!